ESP dSeries Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Which ID should I start DE server/agent with?

Posted Aug 06, 2020 11:25 PM
    Hi members.
    The DE installation guide shows the following.  -- "You can install the server as root or as another UNIX user ID."
    So I created an OS user called deadmin (non-root) and installed DE server and agent with this ID.

When the server and agent services are started after installation with deadmin, it seems that communication between DE Server/Agent is not smooth if the server and agent are started with deadmin.

In other words, in the topology of the Desktop Console, even though the agent is running normally, it does not connect to the agent.
    However, if I run SE Server and agent services with root, it will come out as normal.

Is DE Server and agent starting with root? Or is it correct to start with installation id (deadmin)?

Can I start the service with non-root id (deadmin)? Or does it have to start with root?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Which ID should I start DE server/agent with?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 07, 2020 04:38 AM
    I am not sure if the user with which the agent or server starts will impact the communication between server and agent.
    However, as you have seen this change , I will suggest to open a ticket to further anlayze it.

- Ravi Kiran

• 3.  RE: Which ID should I start DE server/agent with?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 10, 2020 11:25 AM
    Hi,
    So, to reply to your queries:

Is DE Server and agent starting with root? Or is it correct to start with installation id (deadmin)?
    ---- DE server doesn't start the agent or agents.  The WA Agent is separate and independent service.  You will see a script the startESP in bin of DE install, it starts DE and Agent services.  The startServer script only start DE server.

Can I start the service with non-root id (deadmin)? Or does it have to start with root?
    ---- You can run DE and Agent as any user, as different users or as same users.  DE doesn't need a lot of OS level permission, so you can setup a user like deadmin that has full read/write access to the DE install directory.
    WA Agent is different, it runs jobs as different users or it will run commands and scripts all over the place.  Hence we recommend to run agent as root / Administrator so that it can run different jobs.  You can run agent as a user, but if you submit a job where it needs permission of root/admin then it may fail.

HTH,
    Nitin Pande

------------------------------
    Support
    Broadcom
    Toronto
    ------------------------------