ESP dSeries Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Workload Balancing issues. What are my options? Agent Groups?

Posted Sep 15, 2020 07:27 AM
    CA Workload Automation Desktop Client - Version: 12.0.02.00 - Build: 1034

Hello,

Is anyone running 20,000+ jobs every hour, and how do you load balance the workload?

We recently upgraded to r12.2 and I see the option for setting up Agent Groups. At first it sounds like a way to manage like agents, but then there is info on "Running a job on Agent Groups" under load balancing. Is anyone using this to manage job volume on an agent?

Our issue is we tried to manage volume with resource priority, but because there are so many jobs eligible to run the client can't keep up with all of the status messages being generated by all of the jobs (active, running, reswait, complete etc..) and the client becomes inundated with messages. This affects everything running, not just the jobs on this one server.

Any input, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ken Ski

• 2.  RE: Workload Balancing issues. What are my options? Agent Groups?

Posted Sep 22, 2020 11:26 AM
    we use agent groups for as many servers as we can to be HA.  we do not run your volume but we run about 5000 jobs per hour.  our agent groups are all round robin and they work great for windows and unix job types

Sharon

• 3.  RE: Workload Balancing issues. What are my options? Agent Groups?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 23, 2020 03:12 AM
    Hi,

I will suggest to use the Agent groups with load balancing option - CPU ,Random, Round Robin based on your preference.
    You can run workload on those agents with less CPU usage using the above option. Please refer the document for more information - https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/intelligent-automation/ca-workload-automation-de/12-2/scheduling/defining-and-managing-workload-objects/workload-objects/agent-groups/load-balancing.html

We are extending this agent group concept to all other job types based on usage in every release. So in R12.3 also we are going to add support for more job types.

- Ravi Kiran