AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Autosys High Availability Architecture

Posted Aug 12, 2020 10:02 AM
    Hi All,

We are planning to implement High Availability in our Autosys environment with a Primary Scheduler and secondary scheduler with a tie breaker installed on 3rd server. What if the tie breaker went down and unable to identify if there is a failure with the schedulers? Please suggest if there is an option to install the tie-breaker on a High Availability mode.

------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Rajesh Kalidasan

• 2.  RE: Autosys High Availability Architecture

Posted Aug 17, 2020 10:49 AM
    Hello Rajesh,

The tie-breaker is just that - it serves when the primary and shadow lose communication.
    Where you locate it depends on your company's infrastructure.  If your firm has two datacenters, the primary and shadow should be split, and generally the practice is to put the tie-breaker with the primary.  If there are three datacenters, spread them across all three.

Joe Poutre

• 3.  RE: Autosys High Availability Architecture

Posted Aug 17, 2020 12:41 PM
    Joe,

I setup AutoSys AE r11.3.6 SP6..  in HA mode with out the Third Machine.  I'm running Oracle 19c..  I'm allowing the Oracle team to manage the database using Exadata platform. I have been doing this for years... the best way to go letting your DBA's manage.  AutoSys thinks you only have one database but Oracle team is managing that for you.  They can do that better than using the BCP program period. 

Ezra Carroll
    281 728 8909
    ecarroll@ez3tech.com

Ezra Carroll
    SR Workload AE Admin
    Entergy
    TX

• 4.  RE: Autosys High Availability Architecture

Posted Aug 18, 2020 02:58 PM
    Hi Ezra,

In a previous position I built an instance where the DBAs stated we could rely on Oracle high availability, but I insisted on AutoSys dual database.  That functionality has worked through multiple major disasters.  A couple weeks after I'd connected the second database the first crashed, hard, and needed extensive work to be recovered.
    AutoSys HA is a long-established, well-proven feature, and even if the DB is configured for HA, I would also insist on two DBs in geographically separated datacenters.  All that is needed for the tie-breaker is a minimalist VM and you have a much more reliable AutoSys environment.

Regards,
    Joe Poutre

• 5.  RE: Autosys High Availability Architecture
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 19, 2020 08:39 AM

Hi Joe,

I'm allowing The Oracle team to manage the databases they have two databases Autosys does not know about the second one. My database crash and Autosys didn't failover he continue to run on the primary server no rollover.  Oracle switch to there backup and resolved the issue and call me to tell me that everything is working as expected. There was no outage.

That was over a year ago.  I'm not using a third machine bcp program none of that.  Only primary (Jacksonville) secondary (Little rock) keep in mind since Oracle team is managing your database. they are backing it up. If it fails the backup takes over you will not know it... unless there is a major problem and your primary might not failover. 

When we installed the primary server it asked what is your database name.. ?  "autoprod"   install was completed and move to the secondary the Oracle team did some magic and said start your install.   We started the secondary install and I asked what is your database name "autoprod"  the install was completed the config file shows  using the VIP.  Check with your network.

Believe me it's much better..     hope this helps...   ask CA Support about it.

Jdcupautosys1   primary database

Lrlupautosys1    secondary database

Config File example

#-------------------------------------------------------------------#

#      #  #  #  #  Application Server Parameters  #  #  #  #        #

#-------------------------------------------------------------------#

#+----------

#

# Keyword: AutoServer=<hostname>

#

# Defines the host name of the  application server that you want to

# connect to.

#

AutoServer=jdcupautosys1,lrlupautosys1

Thanks,

Ezra Carroll

281 728 8909

Thanks,

Ezra Carroll

Workload Automation AE – Prod Control

281-728-8909

This message is intended for the exclusive use of the intended addressee. If you have received this message in error or are not the intended addressee or his or her authorized agent, please notify me immediately by e-mail, discard any paper copies and delete all electronic files of this message.

• 6.  RE: Autosys High Availability Architecture

Posted Sep 21, 2020 04:33 AM
    Hi Ezra/Joseph,

Thanks for the inputs, we are going with 2 schedulers in 2 different availability zones. The database is Oracle 19C managed by the database team. We are also going with single database with a standby.

Thanks,
    Rajesh Kalidasan