AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Oracle Pluggable Database requirement

Posted Jul 15, 2020 07:16 AM
    Hi,

To install AE r11.3.6 SP8 with Oracle 19c, in the Release Notes it mention following:

The Pluggable Database requirement -  It's requirement for Oracle Container or it's because AE product design requiring it? 

This question from the DBA and I am not an expert on Oracle thinggy, and could not find information on this.  Any advice?

Thanks. 

• 2.  RE: Oracle Pluggable Database requirement
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2020 08:41 AM
    I think most Oracle experts would agree that defining user databases in the CDB is strongly discouraged. When doing so, all objects in the user database become common and would prevent additional instances of the database from being created. This would severely restrict managing the database. Oracle created PDBs to facilitate maximizing server resource usage, promote portability, and enable multi-tenancy at the database level. AutoSys is merely enforcing these best practices.

• 3.  RE: Oracle Pluggable Database requirement

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2020 11:27 AM
    I think most Oracle experts would consider it a bad practice to define user databases in the CDB. Doing so would prevent creating objects of the same names in PDBs since objects in the CDB essentially become common. The requirement to use a PDB is basically enforcing best practices which provide greater flexibility in managing and moving the AutoSys database around to easily accommodate infrastructure or resource needs. PDBs were created to maximize the use of available resources by enabling independent databases to be isolated from one another yet share resources on the same server.

------------------------------
    Broadcom - CA Technologies
    ------------------------------