AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Workload Automation (AE)

• 1.  Workload Automation (AE)

Posted Oct 29, 2018 09:56 AM

Hi All,

Currently we are using Application Manager 9.1.3  and we are planning to move to Automation Workload AE (AutoSYS).

We would like to know to basics like  how the new infrastructure will be ,how to move the existing bat files,unix shell scripts etc..

Do we have any documentation / Training available to check the above?

• 2.  Re: Workload Automation (AE)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 30, 2018 05:33 AM

Hello

I am from CA Services.  You can move to Autosys or to Automic Workload.

There's an automated conversion program to Automic Workload.

In Application Manager, do you schedule to OEBS / Oracle Retail ? 

Both products have applications connectors (SAP, Oracle Business ...) and you have to make sure they cover what you currently schedule.

This a link to the Getting Started Guide of Autosys:

Getting Started - CA Workload Automation AE & Workload Control Center - CA Technologies Documentation 

Regards

• 3.  Re: Workload Automation (AE)

Posted Oct 30, 2018 08:15 AM

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for the link and  we are new to Workload automation. 

What is the difference between Autosys and Automic Workload? Are those different components?

Regards

• 4.  Re: Workload Automation (AE)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2018 04:29 AM

Hi

These are 2 different Workload products, developed by 2 different companies several years ago. 

The goal is the same: schedule jobs and workflows.

What kind of tasks do you run ?  windows and Unix scripts ? File watchers ?  Some applications jobs ?

Regards

• 5.  Re: Workload Automation (AE)

Posted Nov 05, 2018 07:33 AM

Ok as one of the most senior statesmen of AutoSys, I guess i have to take the fishing bait and yank the pole out of a fisherman's hand. 

disclaimer: This is Steve C. speaking as someone with one of the most flight time, yes there are others out there, with the product suite and am not making statements on behalf of former companies nor my current company. I am only stating fact:

AutoSys and Automic (Dollar Universe) are 2 totally different products, agreed.

AutoSys was developed and landed on wallstreet in the mid 1990s (96 I believe) It has stood the test of time and other schedulers. (TWS/Control-M/sysadmiral/Oracles Orsyp or whatever it was, OnTime,OnSchedule,Dollar Universe and UC4, CA workload as well) All HAD converters, and AutoSys had people like me knowing them to convert to autosys, and every company that tried to give it a go stayed with AutoSys.

Why? perhaps it's WYSIWYG approach to batch. its dynamic scheduling capabilities, it's flexibility. Take your pick.

Like all products it has it's cons but the pros for many of us are top tier when compared to the other products. Automic on the other hand if you ask me is a CA RA type product with a scheduler (like so many products out there with built in schedulers -In my  opinion)

When CA finally took the product off Platinum's hands (who bought it from AutoSystems) they rebranded several times. 

it's latest foray was Cybermation and the agents. These plugin agents do a lot but they came from another product that was (unlike autosys) and client centric and not agnostic. AutoSys is powerful because the job instruction language tells the client what to do and it isn't stored on the client, but within the central DB.

Where the product goes now that Broadcom is in the mix is anyone's guess.

But please let's not mince words Automic is an automater not necessarily a scheduler, IMHO.

From my personal experience: Dollar Universe conversions never went so well, before CA/Broadcom). Now, I have NO Idea, nor do i want to hazard a guess, how they will fair today. 

Rajarajan, I suggest you research and make up your own mind or if your firm has already chosen AutoSys/Automic, then you make it work.

Don't just take my word nor the word of a vendor that owns several schedulers. In the end how any client, of CA/Broadcom, does business; they need to choose the suite of tools that will do the job, period.

Does CA have products that will do that? Absolutely and rather well I may add..

Whom should you listen?

As an old commercial for clothing once said: an educated consumer is the best customer... 

Learn the need of your firm and which is best suitable. 

ok off the soap box..back to your regular programming

as always this was just my 3 cents on the matter 

Steve C.

• 6.  Re: Workload Automation (AE)

Posted Nov 05, 2018 07:50 AM

Key word statement from Steve: "Automic is an automater not necessarily a scheduler" & " In the end how any client, of CA/Broadcom, does business; they need to choose the suite of tools that will do the job, period".

Well said Honorable Elder!

BTW: As of today, is there a name change in the offing - CA to Broadcom?

Chris <CJ>

• 7.  Re: Workload Automation (AE)

Posted Nov 13, 2018 03:06 PM

What is the difference between an automater and a scheduler in this context, I'm curious.

• 8.  Re: Workload Automation (AE)

Posted Nov 13, 2018 03:11 PM

Think CA RA / chef etc etc.. ("expect" if you want to old school) 

• 9.  Re: Workload Automation (AE)

Posted Nov 14, 2018 01:51 PM

ah, gotcha.... thanks.

• 10.  Re: Workload Automation (AE)

Posted Nov 14, 2018 02:01 PM

Any time!

Steve C.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

• 11.  Re: Workload Automation (AE)

Posted Nov 15, 2018 11:23 AM

As another senior statesman of AutoSys there are not many other words that can be added to what Steve has said regarding the Workload Automation AE (AutoSys) -- there are very many pros as stated and it's a proven product that is not going anywhere soon.   Thanks, Steve putting that all out there --  as well I am speaking only as one that has used the product almost as long as Steve and it's proven itself over and over again. 

Clark A

• 12.  Re: Workload Automation (AE)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2018 03:52 AM

Hello Steve,

Automic had/has 2 schedulers.

- $Universe

- AWA (UC4) Automic Workload Automation

They are very different: $Universe comes from the French Orsyp editor and AWA from UC4 Austrian editor.