AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

• 1.  Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 30, 2018 04:26 AM

Hi

Our Sunos 5.10 server was recently moved to a new datacentre, a new server was built all data was copied over everything is running apart from the cybagent

Agent R_11_3_1

Not able to start using command ./cybAgent -a as root user

Error in runner_os_component.log

abort() has been invoked in the JVM

error in nohup.stdout

J  java.util.HashMap.getEntry(Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/util/HashMap$Entry;cd log

Server has been rebooted.
    A core dump is generated hs_err_pid25173.log which shows the HashMap error.

more status shows inactive

running java 1.5.0_32

The original server was on UFS but the new server had been upgraded to ZFS. The swap file was also set to low but has been increased but still same issue.

Anyone know why the agent does not start. I found a similar error on KB #TEC511178 but this is for HP-UX and i could not find the setting in the agentparm.txt to add the workaround.

• 2.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 30, 2018 09:43 AM

Have you considered installing the latest version (11.3.7).  We recently ran into a similar issue on AIX, where the older version of the agent had a conflict with the Java that comes with the OS. The latest version of the agent uses an embedded Java and tends to be "happier" as a result.

Disclaimer:  I don't own any of our agents and they are all AIX, RedHat or Windows, so the mileage of this particular piece of feedback is probably very short!!!  

• 3.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 30, 2018 09:49 AM

No but I was going to rename the current WA_Agent_R11_3_1 folder and reinstall the same release again.

Do you know where I can get the 11.3.1 release from just the original is not on the new server.

• 4.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 30, 2018 03:27 PM

I'm not seeing versions that old out in the support portal.  Perhaps someone else will respond.

• 5.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 30, 2018 07:57 PM

I second the suggestion to install the latest supported agent release for your platform. The agent (11.3.1) and JRE (1.5) versions that you reference are really old.

That said, if version 11.3.1 happens to be the latest supported version of your (really old) operating system, then I recommend opening a case with CA and they may be able to get you the older media as well as any assistance you may need.

Good luck.

• 6.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 30, 2018 08:03 PM

Stephen,

Moving to the latest 11.3 SP7 would be wiser choice.

Can you please share the hs_err_pid25173.log file?

CA WA Agent 11.3 SP1 uses JRE 1.6, not 1.5.0_32

# /opt/CA/WA_AGENT_SP1/jre/bin/java -version
    java version "1.6.0_31"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode)

I do remember seeing this error on Solaris T4 SPARC system and Java 1.6 and it turned out to be Java bug related to heap swap when initial heap is exhausted.

Are you using Solaris SPARC? Is it T4?

Thanks,

Chandru

• 7.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 31, 2018 03:01 AM

Chandru

Yes using SunOS  5.10 Generic_150400-50 sun4v sparc sun4v

/opt/CA/WA_Agent_R11_3_1/jre/bin
    $ java -version
    java version "1.5.0_32"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_32-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_32-b05, mixed mode)

I'll upload the core dump if i can.

This server originally didn't have enough swap so had to add an extra 6GB.

Thanks

• 8.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 31, 2018 03:16 AM
      |   view attached

I'm not sure if this makes any difference but the old server was using

SunOS  5.10 Generic_127111-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V445

new server is now using o/s

SunOS  5.10 Generic_150400-50 sun4v sparc sun4v

hs_err_pid25173.log attached

Attachment(s)

• 9.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 31, 2018 05:11 AM

I've checked the CA_Workload_Automation_Agent_R11.3_SP3_Install_08_27_2015_16_44_56.log and found this java version does this mean there is 2 different versions installed. I would expect this to be 1.6.0.xx

java.version                  == 1.7.0_51 (Java 1)

java.vm.name                  == Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
    java.vm.vendor                == Oracle Corporation
    java.vm.version               == 24.51-b03

java.vm.specification.name    == Java Virtual Machine Specification
    java.vm.specification.vendor  == Oracle Corporation
    java.vm.specification.version == 1.7

java.specification.name       == Java Platform API Specification
    java.specification.vendor     == Oracle Corporation
    java.specification.version    == 1.7
    java.vendor                   == Oracle Corporation

java.vendor.url               == http://java.oracle.com/
    java.class.version            == 51.0
    java.compiler                 == null
    java.home                     == /tmp/install.dir.28605/Solaris/resource/jre
    java.io.tmpdir                == /var/tmp/
    os.name                       == SunOS
    os.arch                       == sparc
    os.version                    == 5.10

• 10.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 31, 2018 06:10 AM

It appears you have 11.3 SP3?

Different java versions are shipped with various SPs.

You're probably facing the bug described in the link below:

https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176416

Best option is to install the latest 11.3 SP7 which ships java 1.8.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

• 11.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 31, 2018 07:00 AM

hi

Thanks for the info.

yes sorry using CA Workload Automation Agent, Build 669, Service Pack 3

I might try re-installing SP3 again

Does this command show the machine version and processor type?

isalist
    sparcv9+vis3 sparcv9+vis2 sparcv9+vis sparcv9 sparcv8plus+vis2 sparcv8plus+vis sparcv8plus sparcv8 sparcv8-fsmuld sparcv7 sparc

• 12.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 31, 2018 06:29 PM

Some useful commands to identify the Solaris server model.

# uname -i
    SUNW,Sun-Fire-V215

# prtconf -b
    name:  SUNW,Sun-Fire-V215
    model:  SUNW,375-3464
    banner-name:  Sun Fire V215

# prtdiag -v | grep 'System Configuration'
    System Configuration: Oracle Corporation  sun4u Sun Fire V215

• 13.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Jan 31, 2018 09:46 AM

Chandru

Do you know where the link is to obtain 11.3 SP 7, are you able to send me.

I found a bug SYSAGT-273 which is fixed in the 7 release which may already know about.

Regards

• 14.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

• 15.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Feb 01, 2018 09:10 AM

Hi all,

thanks for the links

Chandru, sorry I cannot run prtdiag -v | grep 'System Configuration' due to this being a VM and im not in the global zone.

However the build team tell me this is a M7-16 server so i guess re-installing SP3 will not work then? and SP7 is required.

Regards

• 16.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Feb 05, 2018 08:22 AM

Hi

Can i run the setup.bin and apply the SP7 update over the top of the existing 'WA_Agent_R11_3_1' version or do i remove the folder and install a few version.

I also noticed the agentparm file is not supported if you migrate from SP3 to SP6/7. Do I need to configure the agent again manually?

Regards

• 17.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Feb 05, 2018 08:50 AM

Could you create a new file system, put build 7 in it, then just re-link to the new agent?

• 18.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Feb 05, 2018 06:31 PM

You can download the 11.3 SP7 upgrade fix from the link below and apply that.

CA Workload Automation Agent Solutions & Patches - CA Technologies 

Please backup the agentparm.txt from SP3 prior to applying the SP7 upgrade fix.

Thanks,

Chandru

• 19.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Feb 06, 2018 08:46 AM

Hi

There are 3 options for 11.3.SP7

SUN-X86-CA WA AGENT R11.3 SP7

SUN-SPARC-64-CA WA AGENT R11.3 SP7

SUN-SPARC-CA WA AGENT R11.3 SP7

would it be best to apply the 32bit version which I think is x86

I believe the old agent 11.3 SP3 was running at 32 bit. If i lookin the agentparm file it says

Agent settings for sunos-sparc-32

• 20.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Feb 07, 2018 08:47 AM

Hi

SP7 applied and issue resolved. I went with the RO93780 release and this has fixed the issue.

Thanks to all and Chandru for fixing this issue and spotting the bug.

Best Regards

• 21.  Re: Newly installed CA Workload Automation System Agent 11.3 on Solaris fails to start.

Posted Feb 07, 2018 08:22 PM

Thanks for sharing the outcome!

SUN-X86-CA WA AGENT R11.3 SP7 is for Solaris on Intel/AMD64 (x86)

RO93780 is 32bit CA WA Agent for SPARC.