AutoSys Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Spouting from the Book versus reality.

• 1.  Spouting from the Book versus reality.

Posted 04-20-2017 07:39 AM

Ever since the merge of cybermation treating the agent as agnostic is causing AutoSys people grave headaches. 

NOT every setting available in the agent works in AutoSys. Because of how AutoSys behaves and the agents behave in the environment.

Just because there's an oscomponent for it doesn't mean it will be respected the way you think.

system settings can/will override.

I have had users google and find the wiki and change settings and screwing up the world for that machine *pounding head on wall*

Some of the answers being given by people with ca attached to their name, unless it's the original CA Clark Ammons :-), have never been in the field. I would know if you have been ... 

Spouting the book, rubs me the wrong way, just ask anyone from Platinum or Computer Associates. Unless you have used it and proved it, do not tell someone what the book says will happen, there's the book and then there's reality.

Please do not tell users how they are used or what to set unless you know for a fact it will work in AutoSys.

Also NOT all *nix are the same, unfortunately, so there's that as well. just ask someone how things work on their AIX Lpars :-)

I care about the product as a whole, not a myopic view of what one firm needs, is it good for the whole of the product? great do it, does it muddy the waters.. then lets think about it and be thoughtful on how it works. 

Is it answering one firms problems which can have a workaround, well then there's a discussion point.. 

Feel free to chime in, this is a tech vs doc discussion not an argument, old timers know there are no arguments during tech talk, just passionate views until a solution is found.

This has gotten lost ... I am still breathing and aim to bring that passion back and not have people say well he's argumentative or hurt my feelings.. or be stifled ... either we can talk freely and politely or we cannot. 

At the end of the day getting the job done CORRECTLY is the only thing that matters... not fast and bandaged... but FIXED.

• 2.  Re: Spouting from the Book versus reality.

Posted 04-20-2017 08:01 AM

Amen to that!

I have been engaged with alleged Admins that have tagged the "SME" title to their designation and the working experience with these good folk, is definitely not SME level.

Book quotes and the perception that one size fits all ["oh, it worked at another shop"], do not an SME make.

Chris  <CJ>

• 3.  Re: Spouting from the Book versus reality.

Posted 04-20-2017 09:20 AM

Chris

exactly. if you look at the profile thread and a few others, recently and in the past , there is little substance to the answer except RTFM, which is fine 90% of the time. BUT in some situations... you need the 10% effort to understand what the book says and what that actually means. 

As you know I just don't do what the book says without understanding WHY ... everyone that works with me knows its all about the WHY.. and the HOW .. not the the why or the how.. :-)

Many of the people answering, lately, have never been knee deep as the rest of us. This is the issue currently.

Steve C.