AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Anybody have any experience with Installing Autosys via Docker and / or Puppet

Posted Aug 11, 2017 12:25 PM

With the whole devops interst these days, we are looking at auto building Autosy environments / agents / WCC through automated processes.

Tools under current consideration include terraform, docker, puppet.  We of course are open to other ideas.  But if anybody has done this, I'd love your feedback / lessons learned.

Thanks, Jeff

• 2.  Re: Anybody have any experience with Installing Autosys via Docker and / or Puppet

Posted Nov 10, 2017 08:16 AM

Has anyone created a docker image for AWS with autosys agent, that can be called from an external autosys host to run jobs.

• 3.  Re: Anybody have any experience with Installing Autosys via Docker and / or Puppet

Posted Nov 13, 2017 09:13 AM

I do not believe CA has done that, and i think there are a few logistics here that need to be thought about.
    The node needs to be defined in autosys. if docker containers spin up and disappear at a whim this could cause an autosys administrative nightmare. But something like this we all need to fully understand. 

Let's see what CA posts.

• 4.  Re: Anybody have any experience with Installing Autosys via Docker and / or Puppet

Posted Nov 13, 2017 09:31 AM

Jeff i found this earlier post

Workload Automation AE and Docker Containers 

• 5.  Re: Anybody have any experience with Installing Autosys via Docker and / or Puppet

Posted Nov 27, 2017 06:23 PM

We've been using puppet to do the installs for over a year now - but only on the linux systems.  We haven't done Windows yet.   It works fairly well, but I don't want to continue to support that.  I'm still looking forward to/hoping for good things from the CA agent manager product.

• 6.  Re: Anybody have any experience with Installing Autosys via Docker and / or Puppet

Posted Nov 28, 2017 11:37 AM

"CAMI", the last I heard is that it will still be a free add-on. Currently CAMI does not support the deployment of Agents & Clients in AE. Dan Shannon, will be the best person to answer questions regarding the planned capabilities of CAMI and it's GA date. An alternative is "auto_track", a utility developed by Mark Hanson [who, has since moved on from CA], "auto_track" requires a certain level of AE for it to be used.

Best,

Chris  <CJ>

• 7.  Re: Anybody have any experience with Installing Autosys via Docker and / or Puppet

Posted Dec 04, 2017 11:34 AM

I have been using Ansible which works not too bad.   You can see my somewhat related post here:

pif, lsm and rpms 

In my opinion, the key thing that CA needs to do to help with the ansible/docker/puppet world is allow full installation of their software using rpm's and get rid of that annoying lsm utility, this would make all of the CM tools significantly simpler to integrate with autosys.

• 8.  Re: Anybody have any experience with Installing Autosys via Docker and / or Puppet

Posted Aug 10, 2018 11:58 AM

We created an AutoSys Agent Container and OpenShift pod but we don't use it.  Best Practice means that you shouldn't have more than one process in a Container or Pod, so having an agent doesn't get you anywhere.  The other problem is logging, if you amalgamate all of the logs to std_out you'll lose all context.

As most docker use cases are for Web Services, there's no benefit to running the agent in a container as you still need to connect to the WS.