AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Autosys - restart file trigger upon success of the job it triggers

Posted Mar 01, 2017 07:46 PM

Hello,

Got an issue I can't seem to get my head around.

Context:

Between 6am-10pm, need to scan for a file. Once the file is present, kick off a processing job. Once that job completes successfully, restart scanning for an another occurrence of the file.

Question:

How would I need to set up the FileTrigger job and the Command job, in order to accomplish this loop, in that specific execution time window (optional)?

I mean, if I set up the FT job with a start time AND a condition from the CMD job, if there is no CMD job execution beforehand, the FT will never kick off. But, if I take out the condition coming from the CMD job, the job will execute only on next timed occurrence (if I set it up that way at all). What I need is for the FT to restart scanning right after the Command job completes. But the initial start of the FT job comes into conflict with the restart based solely on the condition from the CMD job. Kinda an egg and chicken type of a problem.

N.B. The 6am-10pm exec time window can be removed if it make this loop impossible. If there is a simple way of having this loop working, the time widow is out the window.

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance. Appreciated.

Tom

• 2.  Re: Autosys - restart file trigger upon success of the job it triggers

Posted Mar 02, 2017 07:00 AM
      |   view attached

Put the processes in a box. And time the box. Not hard at all.

I would shy away from self-dependency. Or cyclic processing that can cause issues, more than making it easy.

I have contemporaries that will say oh we have them and they work fine. It just has to go wrong once

I have been places where it was never a good idea… because of the potential for the bad.

Good luck.

Steve C.

• 3.  Re: Autosys - restart file trigger upon success of the job it triggers

Posted Mar 02, 2017 12:42 PM

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Just wanted to let you know, I mostly deal with the administration/maintenance of the tool and the related infrastructure, not so much with the scheduling part.  So, forgive me if I'll just need a bit of a clarification on your advice.

When you say to use the box, what will the box control and how? Just the initial start and finish at a specified time?

How would the FT job and the CMD job cycle?

Sorry to bug ya with that.

As for going with this type of solution, the final decision is not in our team's hands.

Thanks a lot!

Tom.

• 4.  Re: Autosys - restart file trigger upon success of the job it triggers
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 13, 2017 01:30 AM

Hi Tom,

I would concur with Steve to keep the design simple.

The Box job is just to group the jobs with similar start conditions. You have your file trigger and the command job inside the box. Once your command job completes the Box will turn to success.

The Box can be started at regular intervals of every 5 mins or 15 mins depending on how much time the Job takes to complete.

You can also set the run window for the Box 6am-10pm  so that it does satisfy all your conditions.

You can refer the following for more clarity.

Basic Box Job Concepts - CA Workload Automation AE & Workload Control Center - CA Technologies Documentation