AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Jobs within a box with unique starting times per job

Posted Oct 11, 2016 04:11 PM

Is it possible to have a box that contains 5 individual jobs? Then each of these jobs has their own unique start time. 

example

Box {

Job 1: 1:15pm start time

Job 2: 1:13pm start time

Job 3: 1:18pm start time

Job 4: 1:21pm start time

Job 5: 1:25pm start time

}

If it is possible then how would I go about implementing this strategy?

• 2.  Re: Jobs within a box with unique starting times per job

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 11, 2016 09:04 PM

Hi,

What scheduler are you using? Is it Autosys or DSeries (WA DE)?

Also, based on the job start time, seems like the jobs are not dependent on other jobs in the box. Is that a right understanding?

Regards,

Avinash

• 3.  Re: Jobs within a box with unique starting times per job

Posted Oct 12, 2016 12:40 AM

If this for AutoSys, while it is possible to define sub/child jobs within a box with individual start times, it is not advisable. Child/sub job cannot run when the box is not running and a child/sub job runs only once per box execution. So, if at the scheduled time (for example: Job 1 at 1:15pm) of a sub-job, the box is not running, then start job event lingers (and waits for the box to start) and the sub-job starts right after the box starts the next time. If one must define an individual start time for the sub-job within a box, then one must be absolutely sure that the box will be running at the time.

• 4.  Re: Jobs within a box with unique starting times per job

Posted Oct 12, 2016 03:49 AM

Hi 

Chandru replied about the start times.

Now if the global picture is not to run these jobs at same time but run them one by one without defining any job dependency,  you should also consider  Autosys Resources.

For example, define a Renewable resource with an amount of 1

In each job definition use the resource attribute to grab an amount of 1 of this defined resource.

When a first job start, it will grab this unique  resource preventing the others to run. As soon as the job finished, the resource is put back in the resource pool, and the Autosys load balancer will pick it up again to run another job.

You can also refine your scheduling with the priority attribute in the job definitions.

It might help

Regards

Jean Paul

• 5.  Re: Jobs within a box with unique starting times per job

Community Manager
    Posted Oct 31, 2016 01:39 PM

Zahary, I've marked this question as assumed answered. If you are still facing this challenge, please come back and let us know. 

• 6.  Re: Jobs within a box with unique starting times per job

Posted Nov 15, 2016 12:38 PM

can you yes, should you is another philosophical question and depends on why this needs to be done.

when this is presented to me I ask why? my knee jerk to seeing this .. someone took cron jobs and ported to JIL.

It is important to make sure the jobs within the box have some sort of relation. also all the jobs need to complete  before the next proposed run of the box. 

Steve C.