AutoSys Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

AE - Upgrade planning from R11.0 to R11.3.6 - need to identify remote agent/client servers

• 1.  AE - Upgrade planning from R11.0 to R11.3.6 - need to identify remote agent/client servers

Posted 05-05-2015 02:16 PM

Need some assistance...

We are currently planning for our upgrade from R11.0 to R11.3.6 and I need to identify which servers are active and have the agent installed, and which servers have the client installed.  Are there any log files or database tables that I could query to get this information on the master?  Unfortunately I don't have any way of scanning on the actual remote servers running the agent/client so I'm hoping we can gather this information from the master somehow.

Was thinking of using autorep -M ALL for the agent side, but I don't have an easy way of separating real machines from virtual machines, and my focus is to identify which servers we would need to upgrade the client and/or agent software.  Have no idea how to identify the clients though... Is there an increased logging level that could be enabled to identify this information in the app server logs?

We've got lots of servers so need this to be a slick as possible without much human intervention so that I can rerun frequently.

Hoping someone else may have run into this before or something like it so I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

Steve

• 2.  Re: AE - Upgrade planning from R11.0 to R11.3.6 - need to identify remote agent/client servers

Posted 05-05-2015 02:22 PM

R11.0 agents needed to be inserted into the DB so at bare min. you have what you need for agents.

if they have the client look for the autorep binary etc.. ;-)

• 3.  Re: AE - Upgrade planning from R11.0 to R11.3.6 - need to identify remote agent/client servers

Posted 05-06-2015 06:27 AM

If you don't have something like an MDB or inventory of software installed "out there" then its not going to be particularly easy.  Incoming client requests aren't tracked in any useful way, plus there might be any number of installed clients that are not being used - same for agents.

Differentiating between real hosts/virtual/DNS aliases/FDQNs/IP addresses is outside of the scope of AutoSys I think .

I once had to resort to running scripts to execute forward/reverse DNS lookups, concatenate the results and autoping everything to see what was really "alive".  Wasn't fun.

• 4.  Re: AE - Upgrade planning from R11.0 to R11.3.6 - need to identify remote agent/client servers

Posted 05-06-2015 07:45 AM

never is, but thats why we get hired.. ;-)