AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

• 1.  iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Jul 10, 2014 07:14 AM

Dear customers.

Thank you for your interest in participating in this pre-launch testing of iXp INCR4 release. This testing is open for 2 weeks from 30.07 - 15.08. During this period, you are welcome to install, test, and provide feedback (use the 'Reply' option in this discussion) to the updates.

Here is a list of key enhancements:

• Filter by Application
    • Filter by Group
    • Filter by Calendar
    • Display dependent jobs in calendar editor
    • Access to job logs, error logs, and spool files
    • Run job-based user commands from CLI
    • HTML syntax support for 'Message of the day'
    • Refresh iXp branding and logos
    • Added user's hostname to a list of environment variables

Demo Recording: https://catechnologies.webex.com/catechnologies/lsr.php?RCID=c095719044dc42ae965487ab9ce71c8e

The installation files (fresh install and upgrade) are provided in this discussion; please choose one that is suitable to your needs.

• New Installation (Admin Guide can be found in \webapps\ixp.war\ag.pdf)
      • ixp-distrib-11.3.5.5096.10.zip (updated: ixp-distrib-11.3.5.5096.12.zip)
      • ixp-thirdPartyLib-11.3.5.5096.10.zip
    • Upgrade
      • ixp_patch_11.3.5.5096.10.zip (updated: ixp_patch_11.3.5.5096.12.zip)

We will be monitoring and assisting in this discussion throughout the testing period; please feel free to provide your feedback,

Best Regards,

iXp Team

Attachment(s)

• 2.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Jul 30, 2014 04:09 AM

Downloaded and installed on Windows 2008 R2 with two AE r11.3.6 instances.  Are there going to be some Release Notes made available?  Sorry if I missed them.

The HTML support in MOTD only applies to the message when it is displayed on the iXp login screen.  When displayed to active iXp clients, the raw html is displayed.

Filtering by application, group and by calendar all seem to work OK.

Displaying dependent jobs in the Calendar editor is working, however the 'Run/Exclude column indicators look like editable flags because they are check marks inside boxes.  Maybe a different indicator would be better?

• 3.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Jul 31, 2014 01:14 PM

Hello Antony,

I am sorry, but release notes are not fully finished yet. We will fix this as soon as possible.

In order to display HTML message properly, you need to use on the start of the message <html> tag. This will tell java to interpret it as html content. (I know that on login screen it is displayed fine without the <html> tag, but that is different component and java-swing is little bit inconsistent in this)

Regarding those calendar checkboxes, do you think making them look disabled/non-editable would be ok?

Thanks,

Tomas

• 4.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 06, 2014 03:14 AM

Hi Tomas, anything you can do to make the fields in the Calendar editor look un editable would be great thanks.

• 5.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Jul 31, 2014 10:40 AM

Feedback on behave of Graham Wallis from RBS

----------------------------

It appears that an old bug that was fixed in INCR3 has been reintroduced where the log file retrieval fails and gives the error message -  "STD_ERR_FILL": invalid identifier.

Also, we can see no option to view spool files as specified in the list of enhancements.

Displaying the dependent jobs in the Calendar Editor works fine, but the column is too narrow to display job names up to 64 characters. Can this be expanded or set to a default width of 64 characters?

The quick filter links to display jobs by status, machine and box are useful, but find that with multiple filters being generated it would be helpful to have an option to 'go back' to the previous or original filter.

Also, the filter drop-down box is not wide enough to display filter names exceeding approximately 40 characters, such as box name quick filters.

-------------------

• 6.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Jul 31, 2014 01:31 PM

Hello Graham,

that error "STD_ERR_FILL" seems sometimes to reappear after some time iXp server is running, try to restart your iXp server if it goes away. This is of course not a solution, I have made appropriate change in code so it does not happens anymore.

Thank you for pointing out those field lengths we will work on it.

Regards,

Tomas

• 7.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Jul 31, 2014 01:15 PM

Feedback from Beth Moyer at OFI:

These are suggestions received back from our development staff that they would like to see addresses in an upcoming incremental within IXP: 

1. I have seen a filter lose our group assignment. Seems to happen when someone else on our team that also has membership in the group comes along and clicks that group folder to look at it. When they leave, the group un-assigns to the filter and I have to come in and reassign it (as I am the Owner that set up the group filter)
    2. At the bottom of the iXp screen, we can pick out the filters. If it is a user filter (my personal filters), it remembers the ones I had open when I last closed iXp. If I add group filters, I can use them the same as personal filters. But once I close down iXp and come back in, it only shows one of several group filters I had “open” during the last session.

3.  It’s very annoying how the left-hand panel automatically repositions left-right when I click on a job. STOP IT!  If I want to scroll right, I’ll do it myself. I don’t want iXp assuming it knows what I want it           to do.  And it also has a propensity to pop up to the top on a refresh, unless, after scrolling down to a family of jobs, I have to click on one of the jobs to get it to hold position.

• 8.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 06, 2014 08:07 AM

Hello Beth,

first I would like to ask you what release are you referring to? It looks like you have some older one because for example we fixed something very similar you describing in 3rd point in INC2.

Regarding your 2nd point, you can choose group filters from main menu View -> find iXp Group filters.

We will try to replicate what you are mentioning in 1st point, from what you describing it looks like a bug.

Regards,

Tomas

• 9.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 06, 2014 03:16 AM

Now that iXp allows filtering on 'application' and group' attributes, do you plan to include those attributes in iXp Security Privileges, for example in the 'JIL' section?

• 10.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 06, 2014 07:54 AM

Hi, Antony.

Yes, this is in the plan for a future release, thanks.

• 11.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 06, 2014 05:58 PM

The patch installed and worked correctly in an instance that had very few defined jobs. I installed it in an environment 4493 jobs, and it timed out retrieving job definitions.

08-06 12:14:17:  PRD:previous=1969-12-31 16.59.59:last=1969-12-31 16.59.59:current=2014-08-06 10.24.29
    08-06 12:14:17:  PRD:job definition change detected:1407342270/300 seconds
    08-06 12:14:17:  PRD:job definition reload timeout exceeded

The iXp client did not display the PRD instance, instead they simply saw "SITE" at the top of the instance tree. I had to back the installation out and restore it to build 5096( ie RO71246 ) which worked fine.

I spent 2 and half hours experimenting with different row fetch and timeout settings to try and fix the problem, but the problem did not change. How would I submit the issue and information about the issue for review?

• 12.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 07, 2014 05:16 AM

we will look into the issue and further inform, thanks

• 13.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 11, 2014 08:13 AM

Hi, everyone.

A new version of the download files (new install and upgrade) have been updated with the following fixes:

• Exclude and Run calendar checkboxes appear un-editable
    • adjusted job name column to accommodate longer strings
    • Fixed STD_ERR_FILL -> STD_ERR_FILE access from iXp

Please download and install the new version to continue testing,

iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Thanks,

• 14.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 12, 2014 05:19 AM

Hi Wesley,

I have applied the latest patch and the fixes look fine. However, even though the filter drop-down now accommodates longer strings, filter names appear to be truncated to 39 characters. This also causes an issue creating QF:box_name filters where job names are of a similar naming convention. Each new filter overwrites the previously truncated filter name even though they are for different jobs.

Also, should this version allow access to spool files?

Regards,

Graham

• 15.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 15, 2014 06:52 AM

Hi, Graham.

The limitation on the filter name has been removed in the latest build; the fix will be included in the release.

Best Regards,

Wesley

• 16.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 12, 2014 10:21 AM

I’m out of the office for training  this week, so I won’t be able to install the patch until next week. I look forward to seeing of the timeout issue from the last patch occurs again or not.

Very Respectfully,

John Gooch

IT Automation Engineer

MAXIMUS

1515 Wynkoop Street, Suite 400

Denver, Colorado 80202-1730

Email: johnagooch@maximus.com

Phone: 303.285.7420

• 17.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 22, 2014 06:54 PM

Hi John,

Did the latest build fix the issue you were having? If not, can you please open an issue and forward the iXp Daemon log? It looks like the iXp server is unable to connect to your PRD instance.

Thanks,

Parag

• 18.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 26, 2014 04:27 PM

I haven't had the chance to install it. But I'm setting up a test installation of Tomcat to test it with today. I'll point it at our production instance and see if the timeout issue has been resolved or not.

• 19.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Aug 15, 2014 07:02 AM

Hi, everyone.

Today is the last day of testing. During our preparation for the release, we will keep the discussion available until end of August (30.08) for your further feedback,

Thanks once again for your participation and inputs,

CA iXp Team

• 20.  Re: iXp INCR4 - Testing Instructions and Feedback

Posted Sep 17, 2014 07:06 AM

Hi, everyone.

Please note that iXp INC4 (11.3.5.5097) is now available and published as RO73681.

This concludes our pre-release testing,

Thanks for your feedback and participation,

CA iXp Team