Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  List of Projects with Custom Fields

Posted Jun 23, 2020 11:41 AM
    Hello, 

Is there a way to run a report that lists not only the custom fields by work item, but also the projects that are using the fields?  I do know that I can view the occurrences, but it isn't really helpful when the occurrences are in the thousands. I'm unsure of how to easily view where custom fields are applied, especially when the visibility is mixed.

Also, can I run a report that shows any custom drop-down list values that were added to fields?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: List of Projects with Custom Fields

Posted Jun 23, 2020 01:07 PM
    I am not aware of a way to do this, but I like the idea of having a way to manage custom field usage.  As custom fields can never be deleted, it is good to be able to keep tabs on their usage.

------------------------------
    Regards,

Neil Goodwin
    Clarity & Rally Product Owner
    Sabre

• 3.  RE: List of Projects with Custom Fields

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 23, 2020 02:48 PM
    Hi Maria,
    Not sure if this will help, but we have this app: https://github.com/RallyCommunity/my-custom-fields
    I have a video walkthrough on installing custom apps here: https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/viewdocument/howto-adding-community-apps-to-a?CommunityKey=f303f769-8d4c-44d9-924c-3845bba6444e&tab=librarydocuments

• 4.  RE: List of Projects with Custom Fields

Posted Jun 24, 2020 10:28 AM
    This is a really challenging administration problem.  When you have thousands of projects and hundreds of custom fields it is difficult to manage.  The app shared lists the custom fields but it does not show the projects it is shared with.  Is there any way that could be added to the app?  It would be much more useful then.

Amy K Meyers  |  Senior Product Manager
    GLOBAL RISK, FINANCE TECHNOLOGY & TRANSFORMATION
    American Express
    O: 602-766-2982 |  E: Amy.K.Meyers@aexp.com
    For Rally Assistance, create a case using this link:  https://jira.aexp.com/jira/browse/EPMO-8808

American Express made the following annotations

"This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you."

American Express a ajouté le commentaire suivant

Ce courrier et toute pièce jointe qu'il contient sont réservés au seul destinataire indiqué et peuvent contenir des renseignements confidentiels et privilégiés. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, toute divulgation, duplication, utilisation ou distribution du courrier ou de toute pièce jointe est interdite. Si vous avez reçu cette communication par erreur, veuillez nous en aviser par courrier et détruire immédiatement le courrier et les pièces jointes. Merci.

• 5.  RE: List of Projects with Custom Fields

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 24, 2020 10:43 AM
    Hi Amy,

The API does not expose the information that an app would need to directly summarise the Projects. There is a way to find occurrences (as you know from the UI), but the info that gets returned contains the Project Name (and not ObjectID or _ref), so if you have multiple projects with the same name, you won't know which one it is in. The only info I can see that can be expanded on is the FormattedID of the artefact. From this, you could find the Projects (that the artefacts are in) and then create a unique list. It doesn't really tell you the full layout of projects that the field is visible in, but it would tell you where it would be a problem if you were to change, or delete, the custom field.

I will follow up with engineering to see if there is any other way to get this info.

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 6.  RE: List of Projects with Custom Fields

Posted Jun 24, 2020 10:59 AM
    Thanks @NikAntonelli appreciate you investigating.

Amy K Meyers  |  Senior Product Manager
    GLOBAL RISK, FINANCE TECHNOLOGY & TRANSFORMATION
    American Express
    O: 602-766-2982 |  E: Amy.K.Meyers@aexp.com
    For Rally Assistance, create a case using this link:  https://jira.aexp.com/jira/browse/EPMO-8808

American Express made the following annotations

"This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you."

American Express a ajouté le commentaire suivant

Ce courrier et toute pièce jointe qu'il contient sont réservés au seul destinataire indiqué et peuvent contenir des renseignements confidentiels et privilégiés. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, toute divulgation, duplication, utilisation ou distribution du courrier ou de toute pièce jointe est interdite. Si vous avez reçu cette communication par erreur, veuillez nous en aviser par courrier et détruire immédiatement le courrier et les pièces jointes. Merci.

• 7.  RE: List of Projects with Custom Fields
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 25, 2020 11:40 AM
    Hi Amy, @Maria Keeton,

I had a word with engineering and it's good and bad news. The good news is that I think the info can be extracted. The bad news is that you have to trawl every single project node - which could be a bit of a slow process for large organisations.​

The reason for this sort of issue is that the request is traversing backwards in terms of how the UI normally works. The UI says: "I'm in this project, tell me about it". What you would be trying to implement is "I know what 'it' is, now tell me what Projects 'it' exists in"

In terms of generating a one-off report, this might be acceptable, but it wouldn't be something to do a few times a day.

When I was thinking about this last night, it occurred to me that it might be more useful to get the usages and then overlay a heatmap of these on top of the project hierarchy. At least in that way you could see the relevance of the custom field to parts of your org. Something like this: https://observablehq.com/@d3/zoomable-sunburst

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 8.  RE: List of Projects with Custom Fields

Posted Jun 25, 2020 05:01 PM
    Hi @Nik Antonelli,

Is there an easy way to get a list of the usages/occurrences?​​