Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Applying a template

Posted Jan 25, 2022 10:33 PM
    Edited by Tony Soares Jan 25, 2022 10:54 PM
      |   view attached
    I recently created a template in our sandbox environment to update the notes field, for Defects.  I started with a defect that contained the text I wanted to add to the notes field and selected template.  On the Work Item Template screen I gave the template a name, selected Visible to Project, selected Default for project, selected Share with child projects and removed all fields except the notes field I want to update.  I selected to Prepend the information in the notes field. I clicked Add.  The template was added.  I then clicked apply to the newly created template and I was expecting it to be applied to all the defects in the project and child projects, however, it only applied it to the defect I had opened, and no other.  How do I apply a template to all existing records, to update, in this case, the notes field with information added at the top (prepend)?
    ------------------------------
    Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA

• 2.  RE: Applying a template

Posted Jan 25, 2022 10:56 PM
    I went ahead and opened up a support case for this. Case #32995080

Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA

• 3.  RE: Applying a template

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 25, 2022 11:24 PM
    Hi Tony,

Work Item Templates apply for new work items, not to existing ones. Their purpose is to save time when creating new work items. They are not a mean to modify existing work items whether individually or by bulk. You can find more information on Work Item Templates here.

There are a few ways to bulk update existing work items, such include selecting the items on the Defect page, also on the Work Views page, you can also use the Custom List app. However, the Notes field is one of the unsupported fields for bulk edits, as you can see in this documentation page. (see 'Unsupported Fields).

The one way that is possible will be to run a script that will use our API to make the bulk updates you need. Such a script will need to be developed though.  If you would like to discuss this option in more detail, please reply to me privately and we can set up a time to discuss.

Please let us know if this helped.
    Sagi