Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Rally SDK2 Lookback API - Javascript - Story PlanEstimate value - Null converted to 0?

Posted Jan 14, 2020 07:15 AM
    Hello,

I'm using the Javascript Rally SDK 2.1 to retrieve a feature information twice:
    - once with the WSAPI for the current state
    - once with the Lookback API for yesterday state

My story has never been estimated. Here is the PlanEstimate from the Rally user interface:

Here is the revision history from the Rally user interface:

The WSAP, for the current story state, returns me a NULL value for the story PlanEstimate. I'm OK with that.

The Lookback API, for yesterday state, returns me a 0 value for the story PlanEstimate. I don't understand why... How can I distinguish a story that was estimated to 0 and a story that has not been estimated at all?

The only way I see is parsing the story revision history to see if a PlanEstimate occured in the meanwhile :-(
    Is this behavior expected? 
    Is this the way that are managed all numbered values in the Lookback API for all the fields?

Thanks,
    Greg

• 2.  RE: Rally SDK2 Lookback API - Javascript - Story PlanEstimate value - Null converted to 0?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 14, 2020 07:57 AM
    Hi Greg,

I can confirm that I can repeat that behaviour with the LBAPI. It looks like an unfortunate quirk of the LBAPI code. The only way to find the first change to the PlanEstimate using LBAPI is to do a query looking for changes only in that field. It will tell you the first time it is set to 'something'. If you don't get any records back, then you know it hasn't been set to zero.

------------------------------
    Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Rally SDK2 Lookback API - Javascript - Story PlanEstimate value - Null converted to 0?

Posted Jan 14, 2020 11:03 AM
    Thanks for your inputs Nik :)

I will also have to parse the whole revision history for this field in order to identify if its value has been removed or reset to null at some time...