Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Query Counter: Issue or User Error?

Posted May 01, 2020 12:15 PM
    I'm using the query counter to see the number of tasks that have a certain tag, such as QA. Per the WSAPI, I think I've got the right query but it's giving me an error that suggests it's not the right query. See screen shots below. Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: Query Counter: Issue or User Error?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 01, 2020 01:22 PM
    Hi Eric,

Try this:
    (Tags.Name contains "QA")​

• 3.  RE: Query Counter: Issue or User Error?

Posted May 01, 2020 01:50 PM
    User error indeed! Thank you, David, that did the trick. A quick follow-up question. How can I tell from the WSAPI that I needed to do Tags.Name? Please know that I'm not a developer, just a humble and lowly business analyst.

• 4.  RE: Query Counter: Issue or User Error?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 01, 2020 03:12 PM
    Objects like Tasks can have child objects like Tags.  So simply referencing "Tags" in the query meant it was looking at the entire Tags child object for a value named "QA".   But since Tags is an object with its own collection of attributes each with their own distinct values (like Name), it didn't know what to look at. 

The trick is realizing whether you're looking at an object (ex: Tags, WorkProducts, Owners) or an attribute (ex: Notes, DisplayColor, FormattedID) and for that you do have to have a bit of understanding around the object model and how that data is structured

• 5.  RE: Query Counter: Issue or User Error?

Posted May 02, 2020 08:13 AM
    Edited by Greg Monahan May 02, 2020 08:20 AM
    I have this page bookmarked as it has been invaluable for understanding WSAPI and the data model https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/doc/webservice/

In addition, Nik has written a nice gadget that renders the object model in a tree format with attributes in a popup table:
    https://github.com/nikantonelli/TypeDefinition-Hierarchy

------------------------------
    Benefitfocus.com, Inc

• 6.  RE: Query Counter: Issue or User Error?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2020 10:01 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi All,

I have also penned a document that might be of use. If anyone has any suggestions of things to add, please let me know.

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

Attachment(s)

docx
    Query Language in Rally.docx   5.29 MB 1 version