Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Can Custom Images be Added to Rally Dashboard

Posted Sep 10, 2020 12:49 PM
    Hi!

I have added apps and also custom HTML apps that allow free text into my teams dashboard to make a virtual Scrum Board. 

I am wondering if there is a way to add an image, from like a chart I created in excel?  Away to (example) upload or copy/paste the graphic?

Pictures of Scrum Board in Rally attached

• 2.  RE: Can Custom Images be Added to Rally Dashboard

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 10, 2020 05:51 PM
    Hi Hannah.

Unfortunately the answer is 'No'. Rally's dashboard can only include apps, which you can find in our app-catalog or the community apps. In order to display an image you'll need an app that displays it. I am not finding an app that specifically will display custom images, since our apps are geared to display Rally info and they may include graphs/charts/images that they may produce, but not anything auxiliary. 

The one thing you can do is you can prepare a HTML page that displays you image, or images, and then include that HTML code to the "Custom HTML" app we have. This app will accommodate any valid HTML and simply render it on the page. If you were to prepare a HTML page with your images and included that entire html code to that app - then you should be able to get your custom image/s on the dashboard through that app. Keep in mind though, for every new image you'll need to exercise this again, either updating that page with another image and deploy to the same Custom HTML instance, or instead include a new instance of the Custom HTML app with a new page for the next/new image.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Sagi

• 3.  RE: Can Custom Images be Added to Rally Dashboard
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 11, 2020 10:58 AM
    Hi Hannah,

I have been able to add an image as you mentioned by doing the following, although it is not very straight forward.  Here's what I did...

1. I have a specific burnup graph that I do in Excel based on Rally data extract.  The burnup graph shows a table with the data, which I couldn't get directly out of Rally.
    2. I copied the graph from Excel (Ctrl+c) and pasted it into a page in Confluence (a wiki page).  If you do not have Confluence, then I don't have a solution, since I could not get the image pasted directly into the Rally "Rich Text" app.  For some reason which I can't explain, it only works when I grab the image from a Confluence page. 
    3. Once the image is pasted into a confluence page and I save the page, I then click on the image and it displays the image.  From that image display view, I right-click on the image and select "copy image".
    4. I switch to Rally and in my custom list, I add the Rich Text app (comes up on the list of available apps).
    5. I go to the app and in the configuration wheel (upper right side) I select "Edit app settings"
    6. I paste the image (Ctrl+v) and the image appears.  You can center the image using the menu options within the Rich Text app.
    7. I select save on the app, and it saves the image.
    Note that I tried saving the image as a PNG and JPEG and then opening the image in Photos app i Windows 10, and then right-click and copy/paste into the Rally Rich Text app and it doesn't work.  I also tried doing the same thing through the Paint app and it doesn't work.  The only way I got it to work was through Confluence wiki page.  If you have Confluence,, this should work out for you.  I've attached a snapshot of what my custom page looks like with this Rich Text app added to it and the image embedded in it.
    Custom page with the Rich Text app with an image attached

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------------------
    Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA
    ------------------------------