Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Kanban State updates Schedule State

Posted Mar 23, 2020 10:57 PM
    We have recently created a Kanban State dropdown for use on the Kanban Board app:

From the Kanban Board settings here is a partial mapping:

Is there a way to update the Scheduled State from "Defined" to "In-Progress" when the card is moved from the Kanban State "BA Not Started" to "BA WIP"?

I can manually update the fields, either individually or in bulk, but I'm looking for some automation similar to when all Tasks are completed.

Thanks,
    Paul

------------------------------
    Paul Gummo
    Cultivate Agile

• 2.  RE: Kanban State updates Schedule State

Posted Mar 23, 2020 11:03 PM
    Edited by Paul Gummo Mar 23, 2020 11:05 PM
    On a related note: can anyone see an downside to ONLY using the "Kanban State" for Defects and User Stories and not using State or Schedule State?

Paul Gummo
    Cultivate Agile

• 3.  RE: Kanban State updates Schedule State

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 10:57 AM
    @Paul Gummo,

If you do not use (or maintain in some way) the ScheduleState or State fields, then all the roll-up that Rally can do for you will not work. Pages like the Iteration Status would produce invalid metrics/charts​. The Portfolio Item metrics would also be wrong and your planning and roadmaps will look very odd.

Not something I can recommend.

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 4.  RE: Kanban State updates Schedule State

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 07:01 AM
    Hi Paul,

If I understand you correctly, you would like the KanbanState to be updated when tasks are started and then again once all the tasks updated. This is in effect keeping the KanbanState in sync with the ScheduleState as the automated update, that Rally provides for the ScheduleState field, does its stuff.

This would seem like an obvious thing for us to implement. However, it would only apply for those situations where there is a one-to-one mapping pemissible for all states. Unfortunately, this is not the general case. It would be hard for our software to work out which KanbanState to choose if there where multiple mappings. This may be clearer if I say that a number of our customers have multiple KanbanStates mapped to the In-Progress state. Once a task is started, and the ScheduleState goes to In-Progress, we would have to make the assumption to go to the first KanbanState mapped to In-Progress - and that might not be the right one.

Due to this needing us to impose rules on workflow to implement, we have shied away from it. Implementing custom logic in this vein may require an 'active' external program that connected to webhooks - which has not yet been released for Rally. Most apps, and indeed pages, in our UI, are 'passive' in that they need human action to spur such logic software into action.

A long winded way to say that the current UI, via an app, can only update the ScheduleState from the KanbanState and not in the opposite direction.

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 5.  RE: Kanban State updates Schedule State
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 24, 2020 10:43 AM
    Hi Paul,

I believe that if you ONLY change the Kanban state by dragging on the Kanban app, the Schedule State will be updated based on your mapping. I haven't done that recently, but before the team board came out we had teams with custom Kanban states.  The challenge was always keeping them in sync, and the solution was to only update the Kanban state on the mapped Kanban board.  I hope that helps!

Terry Ginzburg