Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  NEW Custom Fields Report: Export of Occurrences Data coming June 2, 2021

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 27, 2021 06:30 PM
    We are excited to announce that you will soon be able to export the Rally custom field occurrences data.This data was previously only available in-app.
    On June 2, 2021 we will enable the export of the custom field occurrences data for the following 2 timeframes:

• the last 6 month of data
    • the last 12 month of data

Why would I use this feature?

You are looking to audit custom field usage across your workspace. Which projects are actively using this custom field? Which work items are associated with this custom field? Which values of the custom field are associated with these work items?

Who can access this export option?

Workspace administrators and subscription administrators can access this export option.

Where can I access this new export option?

The report can be accessed for all custom fields on the edit custom field modal at the workspace level. You will see an export link for the 6 month and the 12 month export option.

Rally Updates: Custom Field Occurrences Export Options  Why would I use it? You are looking to audit custom field usage across your workspace. Which projects are actively using this field? Which work items are associated with this custom field? Which values of the custom field are associated with these work items?  Who can access this export option? Workspace administrators and subscription administrators can access this export option.  Where can I access this new export option? The report can be accessed for all custom fields on the edit custom field modal at the workspace level. You will see an export link for the 6 month and the 12 month export option.    What does this export entail? The report includes all work items where an initial value for the custom field that is being viewed was set either within the last 6 month or 12 month.    Example export - boolean field  Special Rule for boolean fields: The export will only include work items for which a boolean field has been actively selected. When a custom boolean field is created for a specific work item type, all work items of this type are assigned the default value of FALSE. The export focuses on work items for which a value was actively selected, meaning TRUE. We have added a note to the top of the export for boolean fields only.
          Custom Field Occurrences - data export location

What does this export entail?

The report includes all work items where an initial value for the custom field that is being viewed was set either within the last 6 month or 12 month. 

Special Rule for boolean fields:

The export will only include work items for which a boolean field has been actively selected. When a custom boolean field is created for a specific work item type, all work items of this type are assigned the default value of FALSE. The export focuses on work items for which a value was actively selected, meaning TRUE. We have added a note to the top of the export for boolean fields only to clarify this.

Example of Custom Field Occurrences Export

Example custom field occurrences export - boolean field

Please reach out via this discussion post if you have any questions.

Enjoy,

Andrea & The Rally Product Team

------------------------------
    Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 2.  RE: NEW Custom Fields Report: Export of Occurrences Data coming June 2, 2021

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2021 11:47 AM
    Hello everyone,

Happy to announce that this new feature has been enabled.

Best,

Andrea

Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: NEW Custom Fields Report: Export of Occurrences Data coming June 2, 2021

Posted Jun 08, 2021 01:54 PM
    Hey Andrea!

This is a great update to the admin section of Rally! I have already used this a couple times and found it really helpful.

However today, I noticed that even if a field is 'not visible' to all projects in the workspace, the column 'Visible on Child Projects' shows it as 'mixed' instead of just leaving the column blank, which is how it used to be before.  

Is this an intentional update or a bug?

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 4.  RE: NEW Custom Fields Report: Export of Occurrences Data coming June 2, 2021

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 09, 2021 01:52 PM
    Hi @Niveditha (Nivi) Gadamchetty,

I am glad the new reports are helpful!

I don't believe that any changes were made to the 'visible on child projects' display. I double checked the help page here and it does show 'mixed' as a setting, when the field is not visible for all child projects. The visibility setting might display a different value, depending on the project level you are scoped to.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Andrea

Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 5.  RE: NEW Custom Fields Report: Export of Occurrences Data coming June 2, 2021

Posted Jun 09, 2021 02:31 PM
    Hey Andrea!

It seems to be back to how it was before. It's not showing 'mixed' anymore if a field is hidden for all projects (depending on wherever I'm scoped).

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 6.  RE: NEW Custom Fields Report: Export of Occurrences Data coming June 2, 2021

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 09, 2021 02:51 PM

that is really strange, since it shows 'mixed' for me when I check our settings and it seems to show mixed for one of your fields.
    Here is what I see:
    And these fields should be marked as mixed, right? I see some of these fields showed 'mixed' in your previous screenshot.
    Very odd.
    I guess the only way to get to the bottom of this would be to contact support, since we did not make any changes, plus it seems that your display is changing on you.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Best,

Andrea

Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 7.  RE: NEW Custom Fields Report: Export of Occurrences Data coming June 2, 2021

Posted Jun 09, 2021 03:30 PM

Oh that's interesting! 

I have always seen 'mixed' only if some projects had the field visible and some didn't. If all projects had the field visible, it would just be a 'tick mark'. If all projects had the field hidden, it would be blank. And this is the way I would want it to be, since it's easy for me to know if a field is hidden (unused) in all projects. 

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 8.  RE: NEW Custom Fields Report: Export of Occurrences Data coming June 2, 2021

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 09, 2021 05:38 PM

those should be the rules, yes.

• Blank --> field is not visible for any projects (your project scope and down)
    • Mixed --> field is visible in some projects (your project scope and down)
    • Check Mark --> field is visible in all projects (your project scope and down)

If there were no changes to the visibility settings that would explain the change in your display, then I would contact support.

Thanks,

Andrea

​​

Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 9.  RE: NEW Custom Fields Report: Export of Occurrences Data coming June 2, 2021

Posted Jun 10, 2021 10:18 AM
    Thanks Andrea!  
    Next time I see this happen, I'll open a support ticket.

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa