Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Rally Dashboard - App Query - Features worked outside the current Release

Posted May 15, 2020 06:47 PM
    Hello,

We are working to try and determine if there's workload being worked outside of the current Release Plan Commitments. Is there a way to find Features by one of the 2 methods below?

1. Features not in the current release and child/story completion occurred within the current release?
    2. Features not in the current release and child/story associated to an iteration in the current release (or upcoming iteration)?

Thanks,
    Susan

• 2.  RE: Rally Dashboard - App Query - Features worked outside the current Release

Posted May 15, 2020 10:31 PM
    Could you add more details

What constitutes 'in' or 'out' of release - date? Releasing naming convention

Is story completion decided by Acceptance date?

Do you want a Custom list?

Regards

Chas

Sr. Project Manager IT Project Delivery, PMP

Western Region

Enterprise Desktop Field Services

Tel: + 1 817 967 6680

Mobile: + 1 817 209 4598

E-mail: chas.chand@aa.com

• 3.  RE: Rally Dashboard - App Query - Features worked outside the current Release

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 16, 2020 03:09 AM
    Hi @Susan Lopez,

Extending what Chas asked, I would also like to know how to define 'being worked'. Even if something is 'planned' to be worked on, Rally cannot really tell you if anything is actually being worked on unless the worker makes any changes to the details held in Rally (e.g. changes the ScheduleState of a story).​

Even if the InProgressDate is set, we don't collect the equivalent 'CompletionDate', just the 'AcceptedDate' in the WSAPI. You would need to look at the LBAPI data to find more fine-grained change data.

The sort of data I think you need can be deduced from one of my more graphical apps. It does not give you a list/grid of the data. Here is an example of: "Find me the stories that belong to features not in release 'R2' and show me where they were 'planned' to be worked on:

------------------------------
    Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Rally Dashboard - App Query - Features worked outside the current Release

Posted May 16, 2020 01:10 PM

Thank you for the replies. We are in an Agile transformation and we have some work (stories) we know are being worked in our current release (via last updated or schedule state changes) and the Feature the stories are associated to are not in our current release meaning the Feature's release field is not set to the current/active release. They are either unscheduled or associated to a release other than the current release.

I am hoping to pull this data via App query as this will be something we want for a dashboard where we can provide status and some trends to leadership to help convey some patterns for improvement.

There's a field "LastRollupDate" that is available as a field for viewing, but documentation clearly states the field is unavailable for query. This field is updated at the Feature level by children state changes. Has exactly what we're looking for, but we're unable to use the field in queries.

• 5.  RE: Rally Dashboard - App Query - Features worked outside the current Release
    Best Answer

Posted May 18, 2020 10:47 AM
    Since you mentioned having a dashboard, you could create a custom page that has two custom list apps on it.

1. One custom list apps shows all the stories in the current release.
    2. The other custom list app shows all the features assigned to the Portfolio Item Project. In the app's view, show the Release field as a column. 
    You could then export this data and combine them into a single spreadsheet that you set up to show the counts.