Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Excel Add-in for Windows

Posted Aug 03, 2020 11:29 AM
    Hello,
    I have the excel add in installed (Office 365) and I use it to export data from Rally.

However I do not still see the option to export Milestone related information or any Multi-value drop down custom fields. I know this was not a part of the plan in the excel add-in, but in a recent Rally Office Hours someone mentioned that this has been released and is available in the add-in. 

I checked the Rally Excel Installation Guide section to see if there was an update available, and didn't find any (refer to revision history).

Where and how can I update my excel plug in?

Regards,
    Nivi

------------------------------
    Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 2.  RE: Excel Add-in for Windows

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 03, 2020 02:38 PM
    Hi Nivi.

It looks to me like both of these are working, here is a screenshot where you can see I exported Milestones along with a Multi-Valued field for Defect (see the export definition on the right side).  I didn't update my add-in in a long time so I don't know that you need to update it. If you do need to update, then did you follow the instructions in the Install Guide?

Let us know if this helped.

Thanks,
    Sagi

• 3.  RE: Excel Add-in for Windows

Posted Aug 03, 2020 02:54 PM
    Hey Sagi,

Thanks for the response! 
    I just tried this on my Office 365 online Excel, and it works! :)  Just one question here, can I not export Milestone's name or date? It looks like it is allowing only Milestone ID to be exported as default. 

I still don't see these on my Windows Excel app, screenshot below. (neither do I see milestone here nor any multi value custom drop down fields)

Is this expected?

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 4.  RE: Excel Add-in for Windows

Posted Aug 05, 2020 12:17 PM
    @Sagi Gabay - making sure you get a notification :) ​

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 5.  RE: Excel Add-in for Windows

Posted Aug 06, 2020 04:47 PM
    Another question @Sagi Gabay - I see that I can only export Milestone ID, but not the milestone name. Is that a limitation at this time?

Also, there's no ability to re-arrange the columns in an export right?
    Image for re-arranging columns?

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 6.  RE: Excel Add-in for Windows
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 07, 2020 11:33 AM

Hi Nivi.

My apologies for the late reply.

In your first reply, from 3 days ago, you included a screenshot of our older Excel add-in (probably you're using version 2.4.4). I don't have that add-in so can't test it. You mentioned you can't export specific milestone columns such as name or date. It sometimes did work in that older plug in to manually edit the Columns field after you make the column selection (from the pop-up window). The trouble though here, is that since Milestones is a collection field then I'm not sure it'll work, but worth a try. What you can try is append "Milestone.Name" or "Milestones.Name" (with a comma delimiter) to that columns field and see if that works. I really don't know what the results will be. Like said, sometimes it worked, but I feel that in this case since it's a collection field then it may not. It may also just export only one name of your milestones in case you have your defect assigned to more than just one milestone. If this did work then you can append: "Milestone.TargetDate" or "Milestones.TargetDate" as well (with comma delimiter).

Let me know if that worked, I'll be curious to know.

By the way, even if it didn't work in this case (cause of this collection field), this manual override on that Columns field does work sometime, so keep it in mind for other situations.

In your next update from yesterday you included a screenshot of our latest most recent Excel add-in. The newer add-in does have that limitation indeed. In fact, with the newer add-in you will sometimes see a little downward arrow to the left of the field. For example, if you select Type = Milestone, then you'll see a down-arrow to the left of the Target Project column. This downward arrow indicates there are more fields you can export from that field (in that case Target Project). In order to see them you'll need to type the field's name, so type "Target Project", then type "." (so: "Target Project."). Once you type the '.' you shall see a list of the available fields under that Target Project that you can also export.

However, and as you see, this downward arrow is sometimes available and sometimes not. It seems to me like it's only available for collections of 1-1 relationship (so for example Milestone <-> Target Project, which is a 1-1 relationship), but not available in a 1-N relationship. That's why you won't see that arrow and won't be able to export the Milestones.Name or Milestones.TargetDate from a Defect. The Defect <-> Milestones is a 1-N collection (not 1-1) which is why it won't work.

There is a chance it worked in the older add-in, but probably it also wont. I think in the  older add-in, this method of manually typing in the Column field only worked also for collections of 1-1 relationships.

I hope this wasn't too confusing. 

Let me know if you were able to follow what I wrote. Also, give it a try and see what you find. If indeed you can't do that, in both add-ins - which is what I think will be the case - then I don't think there will be a way to do that.

Sagi

• 7.  RE: Excel Add-in for Windows

Posted Aug 12, 2020 03:32 PM
    Hey @Sagi Gabay,
    Sorry for the delay, but here are my observations.

You said I was using the older add-in. Yes it is 2.4.4 that I am using.

I did try based on your suggestion to add the Milestone column manually and I get this error. I get the same error when I add "Milestones" or "Milestone.Name" or "Milestones.TargetDate".

And you said my next screenshot shows me using the newer add-in. I use the manifest.xml file which I have had since Oct 2018, which seems to be from here.
    Similarly when you say older add-in, that one is on my Windows excel application and that is from here. This link has the 2.4.4 version as the latest version. Is there a later version available and can you point me to that please? 

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 8.  RE: Excel Add-in for Windows

Posted Aug 12, 2020 03:54 PM
    Hey Sagi,
    I just confirmed with my Subscription admins, they manage the add-ins on our excel and it seems like they did push the new add-in, but it just didn't update in my system. 
    We are trying to fix it. I wanted to let you know that there is no confusion about the two add ins anymore.

Thanks for your responses. Please let me know if you  have any other questions :)

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa