Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

• 1.  Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-07-2020 10:35 AM
    Hi All,

As a challenge prior to last months Hackathon, I decided to have a go at writing a Planning Poker game. The resulting app is available here:

https://github.com/nikantonelli/Planning-Poker

I have had a couple of people go through it and it seems to be doing a reasonable job. It needs one custom field to be created on the Project artefact type (as described in the web page), so you may need to get an admin to set that up. The README is fairly comprehensive, so give it a thorough read before asking me a question, but, of course, I could have missed something!

The same app is used for both moderator and team member. Get an admin (project or higher) to add it to a page and share it with everyone. Each Project node can have its own moderator, but you do need to set up your team members correctly as these are fetched from the Project node and used to decide who gets to vote.

Le me know your thoughts - good or bad.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 2.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-07-2020 11:25 AM
    Playing with this just jumped to the top of my to-do list!

• 3.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-07-2020 11:55 AM
    @Nik Antonelli What am I missing here.  I created a workspace level custom field for user stories that is a text field named PlanningPokerConfig.   I create a custom HTML app and paste in app.html (and later to debug it, app uncompressed) but I only get a blank screen when I load the app.  Am I doing something wrong here?

​

• 4.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-07-2020 12:57 PM
    Did you get any flares come up at the top? If the config is not right, then either a message comes up or there is a barf message on the developer tools console.

It requires the custom field on the Project artefact not the User Story. You get there by clicking on the hammer and spanner next to the project name in the project dropdown (top left).

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 5.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-07-2020 02:46 PM

I thought I knew the admin of this tool backwards and forwards, now I feel like a fool.  How do you add a field to a project when not adding it to a type under that project?  I'm in the config for that project and bring up "fields" and have the drop-down to select the type to add a field under.  Am I in the wrong place?

• 6.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-07-2020 03:10 PM
    The second paragraph in my last post ......😉

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 7.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-07-2020 03:30 PM
    I was dumb.  I got it now.  I had not thought of having to go up to the top level to add it to the child projects.  Got that done and then realized that the Display Name for that field needed to be the same as the field name (it couldn't have spaces in the display name).  Now it's working.  Will play with it. Thanks for bearing with me.

• 8.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 26 days ago
    Hey Mitch/Nik,

Can you help me with this please?
    I have the same question as Mitch, what is the meaning of "creating a field in the Project artifact"?

Clicking the hammer and spanner in the project picker, takes me to the page that Mitch showed a screenshot of.

Feeling lost, help!

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 9.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 26 days ago

@Niveditha (Nivi) Gadamchetty,

You want to go into Workspaces & Projects in the admin screens.
    Then click your workspace name.
    Then click Fields and choose Project in the drop-down

Add a new Field under project to look like this:

• 10.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 24 days ago

Wow! Thanks Mitch! @Mitch Goldman
    I never knew that a different dropdown would be visible when I click on workspace instead of projects inside the workspace.

I'm still surprised I never knew this!

Well, good to learn something new :)​​​

I'll try to set it up today and give it a shot.

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 11.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-07-2020 01:15 PM
    Hi @Mitch Goldman

I added an extra flare when the field is not on the project as needed. New code is now in the repo.

If that's what your problem is, then you are not the first! 🙂​

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 12.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-07-2020 02:47 PM
    I do get this now on my beautifully plain, white screen.

• 13.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-07-2020 06:18 PM
    @Nik Antonelli, I have a suggestion. When loading team members, could you have it ignore the users that are disabled? ​

• 14.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-08-2020 02:37 AM
    @Mitch Goldman, done. New code in the repo. ​

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 15.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-08-2020 10:08 AM
    That looks better. Thanks. Will report back when I have had a chance to get some people to experiment on it with me.

• 16.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-08-2020 05:47 PM
    Could we get a way to choose to add and/or remove members from the poker session? If I want to include someone who is a Rally admin, I don't have the ability to check them off as a team member, so they can't join planning poker. If I want someone to do work on my team that is normally on another team, I would need to make that change in their profile. Find for me in a small organization, but in a large enterprise that might be tough or impossible to get done.

Any way to get the tool to have you give it a list of work item numbers to show, instead of it loading the entire set from the project?  The load times are pretty long.

• 17.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-11-2020 04:31 AM
    Mitch, the app is set to only load the first 50 items. It will fetch them based on the priority in your backlog (DragAndDropRank). I added a filter to the config panel so that you can ask it for particular stories, but it shouldn't take more that a second or two to start up​ for a team member and an extra second or two for the moderator.

Last week, I had two customers mention that apps were running extraordinarily slowly as well as experiencing this myself. It was if the WSAPI access started to transfer data and then just paused mid way through, only to complete some random length of time later.

Can you try it again and let me know if it is still giving the same issue? If so, I will raise it with the support team.

The original idea of the app was that it would only get the top priority, unscheduled, unsized stories........

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 18.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-11-2020 09:27 AM
    @Nik Antonelli, The "team members loaded" toast message comes up in a couple of seconds, but it takes over a minute for the stories to load. I just ran two tests using different projects; one smaller, the other larger.  The load times from the toast message until the stories appeared were 1:08 and 1:09, respectively.

• 19.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-12-2020 11:05 AM
    Hi @Mitch Goldman, would you be able to do me a favour and capture the network accesses whilst reloading the page with the app on in the browser dev tools? It's the waterfall timing chart I am after. If you are using Chrome, then you could just export the log as a har file and email it to me at nik.antonelli@broadcom.com.

I am seeing an odd thing in my system where everything is fetched and then there is an strange long access that gives a 403 error that is not related to my code. I want to see if it is just me or others are seeing the same thing.

Thanks,

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 20.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-12-2020 12:54 PM
    @Nik Antonelli   I have a HAR file from when the page finished loading.  Do you need the HAR file from the load still in progress?

Also, total file size is 48mb.  So it's a bit hard to email.  I might need to zip across multiple files. First answer the question above before I proceed.​​

• 21.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-12-2020 01:01 PM
    The HAR file after it has finished loading is the most relevant. If you can screen-grab the entire timing waterfall diagram, that might be enough to start with. That shouldn't be too big

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 22.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-13-2020 05:46 AM
    Hi @Mitch Goldman, I found an 'anomaly' in the artifact store config that might be causing an issue. I have uploaded a fix to the repo for it. It seemed to be ignoring the 'limit' of 50 records and fetching everything.

Hopefully you can get time to give it a go.

Thanks in advance.​

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 23.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-13-2020 09:42 AM
    Edited by Mitch Goldman 05-13-2020 09:46 AM
    Hi @Nik Antonelli, that's great now.  The time between the "Team Members Loaded" toaster and the stories coming up is now about 3.5 seconds. Great job at finding that "anomaly" ;-)

I was playing with the filtering in the config, and I can't figure out the syntax if I want to limit the load to only user stories (Type = "User Story" didn't work).  I looked in the docs for building queries but don't see that variable.  Can you point me in the right direction?  Thanks!​​

• 24.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-13-2020 09:48 AM
    @Nik Antonelli, I found the next anomaly for you to squash. If you edit the config in such a way that no data is returned on the load, then the config button is no longer available to fix the criteria and the app is forever dead to you on that project. Oops!

• 25.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-13-2020 10:42 AM
    I came across that one already and hadn't got around to dealing with it. I have now. Code on repo. I also fixed another 'anonaly' on clearing the filter.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 26.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-13-2020 09:50 AM
    Unfortunately, that can't be done from the filter. I will have to add a selector for that. I will let you know when I have done it.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 27.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-13-2020 01:22 PM
    Just got the latest code.  Thanks also for the Stories/Defects check boxes.
    Will play with this with my teams tomorrow since I can't see the full experience on my own.

• 28.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-14-2020 10:01 AM
    @Nik Antonelli, I have a PO that have given the team a list of stories to point today.  This team project has multiple releases defined in Rally. When I load the planning poker app ​it is loading stories from a release that I do not want to look at. I tried configuring the custom app to use a release drop-down but it ignores that.  I tried using a config statement of something like this (Release = "TBD") but nothing loads.  Is there a syntax I should use for releases in the config statement or any other way you suggest to look at specific stories on the agenda?  The app grabbing what it thinks are the top 50 stories isn't working for me with a team that has hundreds of unpointed stories in the backlog.  Thanks!

• 29.  RE: Planning Poker App for Rally now available.

Posted 05-14-2020 10:09 AM
    Hi Mitch,

Have you tried (Release.Name = "TBD") ?

https://community.broadcom.com/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=bf9867f6-7e70-4633-b8c7-f23055c40c9d

The 50 limit is only a page size. If you get to resize all 50, then hitting 'reload game' will get you the next 50 unsized stories in the backlog. In talking with a couple of coaches when designing this app, that was the tradeoff. We came to the decision that the backlog should be prioritised and therefore the important stuff is already at the top for the next planning session.

Let me know what sort of alternative scheme would work. I am open to adding options if they make sense.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software