Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Epic associated with a Defect

Posted May 27, 2020 02:37 PM
    Does anyone know of a way, in Rally, to display a list of defects and the associated Parent, Feature and Epic?

I would like to create something in Rally for our business sponsors to see real time Defects within their area of responsibility (our sponsors typically have responsibility at the Epic level). Ideally this would be a list showing Defects and defect meta data (name, state, etc.)  including User Story, User Story's Feature and User Story's Epic.

I know of two options which require either multiple clicks or provide non-real-time data:
    1. From the Portfolio Items page, drill into the Portfolio Items and see defects associated with Features / Epics. 
    2. Export and build a list of Defects, Parents, Features, and Epics in Excel.

Thanks,
    Paul

------------------------------
    Paul Gummo
    Cultivate Agile

• 2.  RE: Epic associated with a Defect

Posted May 27, 2020 02:43 PM

How about the Custom List App?

Also has the advantage of one click drill-down

I only go as far down as User stories so not sure if it will expand to defects

Regards

Chas

Sr. Project Manager IT Project Delivery, PMP

Western Region

Enterprise Desktop Field Services

Tel: + 1 682 278 3758

Mobile: + 1 817 209 4598

E-mail: chas.chand@aa.com

Cube: 8E.1E.138A  

• 3.  RE: Epic associated with a Defect

Posted May 27, 2020 09:48 PM
    Thanks Chas,

Tried the Custom List App.  I can get a list of all the defects, but I cannot see (in list format) that defect DE1234 is from User Story US5678 which is part of Feature F25 which is associated with Epic EP7.

Paul

Paul Gummo
    Cultivate Agile

• 4.  RE: Epic associated with a Defect

Posted May 27, 2020 10:05 PM

Hey Paul

Without seeing what you have it's a little difficult to visualize what you are describing but some pointers to try

• After you have clicked on the two triangles on the top left  of the Custom List(look like an hour glass), they will have 'expanded all the items
    • It can be slow so to make sure everything is expanded, select the top item and cursor down (also you can scroll down but I prefer going down the list)
    • Failing that, at the top right, (arrow coming out of a box) is the Export button – choose print.  You will get a dialog box asking if you want to see all the children, select that option
    • The next window that pops up is a CSV file of all your items.  Copy and paste that into an Excel file ans see if you have everything

Let me know

Chas

Sr. Project Manager IT Project Delivery, PMP

Western Region

Enterprise Desktop Field Services

Tel: + 1 682 278 3758

Mobile: + 1 817 209 4598

E-mail: chas.chand@aa.com

Cube: 8E.1E.138A  

• 5.  RE: Epic associated with a Defect

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 28, 2020 04:48 AM
    Hi Paul,

Try this one: https://github.com/nikantonelli/custom-list-with-export

It shows from Portfolio Item down, but not Defect up (i.e. Defect A is connected to Story B which is connected Festure C). You can export the tree to CSV.

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 6.  RE: Epic associated with a Defect
    Best Answer

Posted May 27, 2020 03:44 PM
    If each business sponsor has separate projects, then you could set the project scope at the top of the site and have them use a custom list app and set the type to defect. That will show all defects in the scope of that project.