Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Portfolio item dependencies app

• 1.  Portfolio item dependencies app

Posted Apr 20, 2020 06:17 PM
    Hello,

I'm looking for an app that would show dependencies at the lowest level portfolio items (parents of stories).

I have found this app on the Rally Tech Services site.  RallyTechServices/portfolio-item-dependency-risk

I want to know if I have any other options?

Regards,
    Nivi

------------------------------
    Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 2.  RE: Portfolio item dependencies app
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 21, 2020 02:21 AM
    Edited by Christopher Hackett Apr 21, 2020 04:41 PM
    Hi @Niveditha (Nivi) Gadamchetty,

I have a few in my github repos. If you like things graphical, you can use this one:https://github.com/nikantonelli/PortfolioItemTimeLine There are options to make it show just Feature to Feature if that's all you want.

If you like a tabular format, you could consider this one:https://github.com/nikantonelli/DependencyGrid This one has the option to arrange the rows and columns based on various field data as well.

My favourtie visually, is this one: https://github.com/nikantonelli/Radial-Density

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: Portfolio item dependencies app

Posted Apr 22, 2020 02:42 PM
    I hit send before I completed my questions.. and I dont see the post here yet. So I'll post again. 

-Thanks for the options Nik, I checked the apps you suggested and they are a little too graphical for my necessity as of now. 
    I think so far the best option for me is the one I mentioned in my original post. But I have a couple questions about it and if you can answer them then I'll be grateful.

1. What is the meaning of "Predecessors/Successors by story count/plan estimate"? This is supposed to be showing dependencies by Epics and that's what it's showing. In the screenshot for e.g. only one epic has 2 dependencies and it's showing that correctly. Is the header wrong?
    2. I don't see any difference between the first two and the last two columns and  want to get rid of 2 of them and just have one column each for Predecessors and Successors. I can't seem to be able to do that. Is there anything you can suggest/help with this?

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 4.  RE: Portfolio item dependencies app

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2020 07:19 AM
    Edited by Nik Antonelli Apr 23, 2020 07:52 AM
    Hi NIvi,

This is not code I am familiar with , but the relevant bit is here: https://github.com/RallyTechServices/portfolio-item-dependency-risk/blob/fad6b9d6c5788f4e8827821b82f51517a2d98a99/src/javascript/MetricsManager.js#L28

What is looks like it is doing is counting the number of predecessors that have a 'Progress Health' calculation that is Red, Amber or Green (or finished) based on whether you are calculating the health derived from story points, or story count.  So the colours and numbers represent the predecessor/successor state of health.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 5.  RE: Portfolio item dependencies app

Posted Apr 23, 2020 03:00 PM
    Ah that makes sense now. Thanks Nik!

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 6.  RE: Portfolio item dependencies app

Posted May 26, 2020 02:37 PM
    Hey Nik or anyone else that can answer me,

I had another couple questions about this dependency app:
    - Does the app require that Planned Start and End dates are filled in portfolio items?  If those fields are not filled in, then what is the effect on coloring in the app? My teams don't fill in those fields and so those colors may not make sense for us if that's the case.

- What if a portfolio item has no stories or has stories with 0 points? It looks the app is showing these in Red if such portfolio items are a dependency.  Is this how it is supposed to work?

Any help with understanding these would be of great help.

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 7.  RE: Portfolio item dependencies app

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 27, 2020 08:49 AM
    Hi Nivi,

All your questions should be answered by this code:
    https://rally1.rallydev.com/docs/en-us/saas/apps/2.1/doc/source/HealthColorCalculator.html#Rally-util-HealthColorCalculator-method-calculateHealthColor

Actual start dates are used first, Planned dates tried second, but if then there are no stories, or no change of a story to In-Progress, then it has no data to work with and will assume todays date. It does that for both the start and end dates. This means if you don't use something sensible for it to calculate start/end dates, you end up with 'red' as its best guess.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 8.  RE: Portfolio item dependencies app

Posted May 27, 2020 10:14 AM
    Thanks Nik! That helps.

I will come back if I think of any other questions :)

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 9.  RE: Portfolio item dependencies app

Posted Jul 13, 2020 03:34 PM
    Hi @Nik Antonelli,

Another question regarding this app:how do the color codes work for successors?​\
    e.g. in my app, against an epic, I see 6 in Red in the Successors column, and when I click on it, it pops up a list of 6 successors a few of which are in later releases and a few are unscheduled.  My question is - why is it red?  When/how are 'successors' identified as late?

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 10.  RE: Portfolio item dependencies app

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2020 03:53 PM
    Edited by Nik Antonelli Jul 13, 2020 03:53 PM
    Hi Nivi,
    the same algorithm is applied to all items whether they are predecessors or successors. The previous post where I give the line for calculateHealthColor is used in the same way

Have a look through those items just to make sure they don't fail the test.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software