Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  No owner shown in task creation on new UI

Posted May 18, 2020 11:53 AM
    My users are reporting that when they create new tasks, the owner drop down is showing as -- No owner -- instead of themselves. When they hit create the task is created with them as the owner. If they hit create with details the detail page comes up with them as the owner. So it's not an issue of the task getting created without an owner. The problem here is that the no owner as the default is causing some confusion for the users. It seems that this is new with the new UI. I'm just wondering if that was intentional or just a bug.

Thanks

@Andrea Schilde

• 2.  RE: No owner shown in task creation on new UI

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2020 05:31 PM

Hi @Mitch Goldman,

the intention was to indicate that a user can set any owner at the time of creation when using 'quick add', meaning no editor is opened and the new item is added straight to the grid. It seems that this option gets lost when we populate the owner by default.

How do others feel about this new behavior?

Would you expect the owner to be populated by default to the person taking the action?

Does the current implementation of 'quick add' make it more clear that a user can set any owner at time of creation? 

I'd love to hear your feedback.

Best,
    Andrea

------------------------------
    Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: No owner shown in task creation on new UI

Posted May 18, 2020 06:05 PM
    That's fine. I understand what you are trying to do. Surely my users will get used to it. The only problem I have is with unannounced changes like this, especially mid-day. There was no opportunity to alert the users, and give guidance on what changes they are going to see. It's up to individuals to figure out the changes, which is the last thing I want my teams dealing with on an ad-hoc basis.In this instance, it wound up causing some loss in productivity as several people got brought into a discussion around what they are seeing and what happens in each scenario. Was it a bug or feature? I'm not sure what the thinking from your product team is on why some changes come with advance warning and why others (such as last week's change) do not.

That's not to say I don't like this change. I think it's a great improvement visually and thank you all for your efforts. But given my druthers, I would prefer some advanced warning when it comes to UI or functional changes.

• 4.  RE: No owner shown in task creation on new UI
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 19, 2020 05:55 PM

Hi @Mitch Goldman,

I appreciate your additional feedback.

The ADD NEW changes were released prior to the editor changes​ on 4/22 and not considered as a functional change specific for the editor. Given that the editor changes overall were viewed by us as non-functional changes, but rather a design change we did not announce this ahead of time.

I see now that this release was more disruptive than anticipated, especially since we had some issues with this release. I'd like to apologize for any loss of productivity. That was not our intent.

We are currently discussing amongst the Product Team how to best communicate our upcoming changes in a continuous delivery environment.

Stay tuned & Thank you for your understanding.

Best,

Andrea

Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 5.  RE: No owner shown in task creation on new UI

Posted May 20, 2020 01:00 PM
    Hi Andrea,

I think what is puzzling is that what is shown in the Add New toolbar is not what actually happens. I like having the owner field visible there, so I can quickly set a different owner, but it should display the default owner (me) rather than saying No Owner. I see that if I click the owner field and then intentionally select No Owner the task is created without an owner. However if I just add a name, see No Owner in that field, and don't touch it, expecting to create a task without an owner, it actually creates a task with me as the owner. That's the source of the confusion - that it says one thing before hitting Create but does something different. 

I see the same behavior when creating User Stories on a Feature - the Owner field is visible and states No Owner, but if I don't touch that field, the new story is created with me as the owner. If the owner field is displayed, it should be populated with the actual value that will be on the created item.

Terry Ginzburg

• 6.  RE: No owner shown in task creation on new UI

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 20, 2020 02:03 PM

Hi @Terry Ginzburg,

thanks for the additional feedback. I will review this.

Andrea

Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 7.  RE: No owner shown in task creation on new UI

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2020 02:28 PM
    Hi @Terry Ginzburg,

we released an update to this.

Regarding your scenario for the Add New toolbar when creating a task. If you select 'No Owner' for the task you are creating and you click 'CREATE' the task will now be created without 'No Owner' set.

Thanks,

Andrea

Product Manager
    Rally Software