Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Ancestor List w/ Attributes via Descendant Criteria

Posted Apr 28, 2020 09:20 AM
    I am trying to configure a view/query that will render a list of Features and/or Epics and select-able attributes for each based upon descendant criteria defined at the User Story level.  My specific use case is I would like to see a comprehensive list of Features w/ relevant Feature attributes of my choosing that have 1 or more descendant User Stories assigned to sprints (Iterations in Rally) in Q2 (sprints 8 thru 13).

My challenge is getting our teams to be more disciplined and consistent establishing and maintaining key attribute values at portfolio item level so we can achieve and sustain transparency from a planning and execution/progress perspective at the portfolio item level as priorities/work shifts at User Story level.  I often find that to get an accurate read at portfolio item level, I must first start at User Story level and work my way up.   

I am thinking of something similar to Custom List w/ Deep Export that will enable me to define criteria at User Story level that returns a portfolio list result set with portfolio level attributes. 

Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Chris Kennedy
    IT Program Manager
    Unum

• 2.  RE: Ancestor List w/ Attributes via Descendant Criteria

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 28, 2020 09:44 AM
    Edited by Nik Antonelli Apr 28, 2020 09:47 AM
    Hi Chris,

How timely. I am just writing a document on what you can and can't filter on in Rally. If I understand correctly, this is not something we can do with the standard filters. I am thinking that you are looking for a list of unique features that have one or more stories in a particular sprint or a particular release timebox. You will need an app with a Query box, e.g. Custom List

Does this get you what you want in a Custom List Query box (app settings) with the artefact type set to Features:

(UserStories.Release.Name = Q2)

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: Ancestor List w/ Attributes via Descendant Criteria
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 28, 2020 09:58 AM
    Just be aware that the filter I gave you might give you not exactly what you expect. If you are only wanting the stories that are in that Release, then that is harder. The filter I gave you will select those Features with at least one story in that release, but will also show you all the stories under that feature - some of which may in completely different sprints. See image below. BTW, you can also do other sorts of filters like this:

((UserStories.Release.Name = R2) OR (UserStories.Iteration.Name = "Iteration 7"))

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 4.  RE: Ancestor List w/ Attributes via Descendant Criteria

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 28, 2020 12:15 PM
    Just a quick update. If you are trying to look in multiple Iterations, then note the use of parentheses in the following:

(UserStories.Iteration.Name IN "Iteration 8,Iteration 9,Iteration 10,Iteration 11")

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 5.  RE: Ancestor List w/ Attributes via Descendant Criteria

Posted Apr 28, 2020 12:36 PM
    Thanks to the help you provided, I now have a list of Features with descendant USs scheduled for Q2 by virtue of Release = 2020 Q2 or being assigned to Sprints 8 - 13 all of which occur in 2020 Q2.  My next obstacle is restricting that list of Features to those that are descendants of a specific Initiative.  To achieve that objective I need to specify criteria at User Story and Initiative levels which returns the Feature list of all Features under a given Initiative that have child USs scheduled for a sprint in Q2.

When sitting at Feature level, I know I can interrogate Parent which would be Epic level....but how do I interrogate at Initiative level?  Parent.Parent???

I know you cannot help me indefinitely, but I believe this is my last hurdle I need to overcome.

Chris K.

IT Program Manager
    Unum

• 6.  RE: Ancestor List w/ Attributes via Descendant Criteria

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 28, 2020 12:46 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi Chris, yes you can do something like Feature.Parent.Parent.Name = "BlahBlah" to get to a particular higher level portfolio item.

Here's the doc I started to write earlier today. If it is missing something, please let me know. It's not complete, but almost.....

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

Attachment(s)

docx
    Query Language in Rally.docx   5.22 MB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Ancestor List w/ Attributes via Descendant Criteria

Posted Jun 11, 2020 01:59 PM
    Hi Nik,
    Do you know if the Parent.Parent.Name notation works for the CA Agile Excel Addin as well please?  I'm trying to pull Feature data using the Excel Addin and whilst I'm able to pull the feature parent (outcome) using Parent.FormattedID or Parent.Parent, I'm unable to pull the level above that using the Parent.Parent.Name notation.

Many thanks
    Regards

• 8.  RE: Ancestor List w/ Attributes via Descendant Criteria

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 11, 2020 02:09 PM
    Hi Fadel, unfortunately, I am not overly familiar with the Excel plugin. In theory, it should work because the query is actually handled as a parameter to the API call. However, the connector itself might be doing something extra that prevents it doing what you want.

I would recommend pinging a question into the support team as a Case and see what they say. They might be able to find the answer from our 'connector' team.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software