Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

• 1.  custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Posted Jan 17, 2020 10:31 AM
    Hello,
    I assume the color element is a custom element.
    Could you give me a hint how I can access this element?
    The documentation does not say anything about it: https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/doc/webservice/

I already tried these:
     - (c_Color.Name = "green")
     - (Color.Name = "green")
     - (Color = green)
    and some other variations.

It would be nice if the query editor would have an auto-complete feature

Regards

Sebastian

• 2.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 10:40 AM
    Hi Sebastian,

The colours are held in the database as a hex value rather than a string, so a query would look like this

((DisplayColor = #21a2e0) OR (DisplayColor = #105cab))

------------------------------
    Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 10:47 AM
    Hi Sebastian,

A couple of tips to get the most out the the webservice docs:

1) Types are a hierarchy. You might not see 'DisplayColor" on a Defect, but if you follow the hierarchy given by the hyperlinks that start the "Child Elements" section of each artefact type, you can find all the fields..... eventually

2) Use the active part of the docs to fetch examples. If you look at the start of each accessible artefact type, you can get the docs to do a query for you. You can then look at the JSON output of all the fields by ticking both the boxes for "Fetch Full Objects" and "Beautified JSON Output"

I made an app that will show you the hieracrchy dynamically, but it doesn't give the full description of the field type here: https://github.com/nikantonelli/TypeDefinition-Hierarchy but will give you all the fields by hovering over the node circles.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 4.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Posted Jan 17, 2020 10:51 AM
    Edited by SebastianStark1364589 Jan 17, 2020 10:52 AM
    Hello Nik,
    is it possible to query by the color name, the custom list filter does allow thisß
    There are several defined colors - is there a translatation table from all color to its hex values.
    Honestly, I don't want to try out all combinations...

see attached example

Thanks

Sebastian

• 5.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 11:30 AM
    Ok, so now we are going to get into an area that is going to cause a little bit of confusion. I will try to explain it as well as I can, but let me know if you have follow on questions.

We are in the process of rolling out a new UI to all customers. Some have taken it, some are yet to. I have no way of knowing which one you are on from here.

In the older UI, the colour palette is this:

DISPLAY_COLOR_PALETTE: [
    {value: '#105CAB', name: 'Dark Blue'},
    {value: '#21A2E0', name: 'Blue'},
    {value: '#107C1E', name: 'Green'},
    {value: '#4A1D7E', name: 'Purple'},
    {value: '#DF1A7B', name: 'Pink'},
    {value: '#EE6C19', name: 'Burnt Orange'},
    {value: '#F9A814', name: 'Orange'},
    {value: '#FCE205', name: 'Yellow'},
    {value: '#848689', name: 'Grey'}
    ]

This colour palette will appear in all Custom Apps (e.g. Custom List) and if you try to select, update or filter on DisplayColor, you will be using these values.

The new UI uses a new set of values and a different name set. If you go to the Full Details Page or even the Quick Details Page in the new UI, you will only be able to set, update and filter using the new palette. I will see if I can find an equivalent to the table above for the new palette.

To maintain a certain degree of backwards compatability, the components on a screen using the new UI technology (FDP and QDP as mentioned above) will attempt to map the new colours onto the old colours so that at least 'a' colour is available to components using the older technology (Custom Apps).

What this means is that you can have a custom list app up, click on a user story to get the QDP onthe right hand side and the custom list might show "Dark Blue" as the story colour, but the QDP will show it as "Ocean".  If you set the colour of a story to Plum using the QDP, the Custom list app will show it as Purple.

The backwards compatabiility does introduce something that you need to be aware of when using the Query box. You might find that you need to use a doubled up query as in the example I originally sent you. The query box doesn't use the name of the colour. The colour pickers in the UI don't show you the underlying hex.

See the mapping image below.

The new colour scheme was used to improve the use of our product by visually impaired peopled, e.g. colour blindness.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 6.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Posted Jan 17, 2020 12:15 PM
    Hi Nik,

We have not moved our entire subscription to the new UI, but I have a test user that opted in. I'm not sure if that affects the hex color numbers or not, but from what I see they haven't changed. When I export from the new UI and include the color column, I get the old values. This is the chart I made to keep track. :)

Terry Ginzburg

• 7.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 12:30 PM
    That is true. If the person on the new UI sets something to Ocean, then you will see it as Dark Blue everywhere - because you don't have the new UI at all. When you set it to "Pink", they will see it as Orchid.

When you get your new UI turned on, the scenario I mentioned above comes into play.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 8.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 12:32 PM
    When I say that they will see it as Orchid, they will in any new UI component, e.g. FDP, QDP. They will still be able to see it as Pink if they have a page with the Custom List on - even if the new UI is enabled.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 9.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 12:34 PM

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 10.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Posted Jan 17, 2020 01:57 PM
    I get that...  my point is that they are using the same hex codes. So whether I'm in the new UI or old, I would use #105cab in a query to find dark blue / ocean.  Same if I'm importing items - if I want to specify color, the hex codes have not changed.

Terry Ginzburg

• 11.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 02:08 PM
    Edited by Nik Antonelli Jan 17, 2020 02:08 PM
    The Hex codes for the new UI are currently:
    #4288a6
    #6d7cc9
    #3f9ee8
    #ad77d4 
    #cf61bf 
    #ce8304 
    #e65d4e 
    #e1d828 
    #9b8c7b 

Which are different. I am not sure how you are getting the same values. I will investigate a bit more....
    ​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 12.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 02:14 PM
    Terry, you are right. The frontend is taking the Ocean with it #4288a6 value and converting it into #105cab when it writes it into the database. It must be doing the same as it comes back out. This must be how they are trying to maintain compatability.,

You learn something new every day. :-)​​

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 13.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Posted Jan 17, 2020 04:21 PM
    Isn't that the truth!

Even more interesting, when I was playing around with this a few weeks ago that you can import stories with any hex color you want. Rally will display the appropriate color. You can even just use a color name like 'red' (since there isn't a red color???).  The downside is that you can't filter for anything other than the defined colors. I discovered this by making a file for import and dragging the hex color down the rows in excel, not noticing that it was incrementing the number.  OOPS! Like you said, you learn something new every day.  :)

Terry Ginzburg

• 14.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Posted Jan 20, 2020 07:33 AM
    querying for DisplayColor = "107C1E" works fine for me

thank you for your support :)

Sebastian

• 15.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Posted Jan 21, 2020 08:40 AM
    I misread this original thread thinking the color was the color of a feature based on percentage complete and planned/actual start/end dates.

Can we query/filter and only show features at risk - that are Red based on the risk calculation? Is this something we can do in a standard list app, or does it require a custom app that calculates the risk code the way the algorithm does and select only those? Seems that would be a handy app that you can select the criteria (colors) in configuration and render only those that meet that criteria.

Benefitfocus.com, Inc

• 16.  RE: custom list - query for portfolio item MMF color

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 21, 2020 08:53 AM
    Hi Greg,

The 'health' of an item is calculated on the fly and there isn't an easy way to filter on it in the standard UI. It would have to be a custom app if you specifically wanted those that calculated as "Red"

The equation for the calculation is in the help pages, but you can see an example of its use here: https://github.com/nikantonelli/PortfolioItemTimeLine/blob/51e9a6fe1db333d01cbfe6c1d7d8e19a25757858/App.js#L2461

There are standard SDK components that will calculate it for you with the standard method, but if you want to modify it in any way, then you will need this code in your own app.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software