Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Expanding Parents or top level items

• 1.  Expanding Parents or top level items

Posted Jan 02, 2020 03:53 PM
      |   view attached
    Prior to the last update, the list views of stories or records in a view had a way to expand all stories or child items under that. With the new UI, is there a way to expend all items at once where the ">" is shown without clicking on each ">"?

We used that feature to conduct meetings and wanted to see if there was an alternative? See attached screenshot for example.

• 2.  RE: Expanding Parents or top level items

Posted Jan 03, 2020 04:49 AM

+1 to @Jim Smith on this.

I am also missing the Expand All option that used to be present for User Stories -- especially handy for Split or nested ones. 

Even before the big change, I wished it was present on more screens, especially Quality Management.

• 3.  RE: Expanding Parents or top level items

Posted Jan 03, 2020 07:57 AM
    @David LeDeaux a few weeks back you provided a very helpful update when filtering on the owner field. Would you be able to suggest or point me in the direction of similar articles like this one you provided below  for another issue that would shed more light on this post I'm replying to?

Example 
    https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=132270 ​

• 4.  RE: Expanding Parents or top level items
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 03, 2020 11:48 AM
    Hi Jim and all, 

I believe the Expand All functionality was removed because it absolutely destroyed performance of the page for most users.

From the Support side of things, I can tell you that we received many many cases regarding the slow performance of the User Stories page in particular - most of which were caused by that little + button! In an effort to improve speed and responsiveness of Rally for all our users, the option was removed. Maybe @Andrea Schilde can comment further. 

If you're working on just User Stories, you do have the option to use the old page by just going to the Plan --> User Stories page and clicking the "i" icon to switch:

------------------------------
    John Streeter
    Customer Support Lead | ITSM & Rally Software

• 5.  RE: Expanding Parents or top level items

Posted Jan 03, 2020 11:52 AM
    Thank you @John Streeter for the suggestion to use the old page but that would not be a long term option as the page will be deprecated in time. Are there any other workarounds?​

• 6.  RE: Expanding Parents or top level items

Posted Jan 03, 2020 11:55 AM
    Yeah the only workaround right now would be to use the old page. 

Andrea might have some other info to provide as I'd imagine you're not the only ones submitting this type of feedback! :)

John Streeter
    Customer Support Lead | ITSM & Rally Software

• 7.  RE: Expanding Parents or top level items

Posted Jan 06, 2020 10:48 AM
    Edited by David Spalding Jan 06, 2020 10:56 AM
    Expand All is still available in the Custom List app. ;)  I've often used a custom page (or more than one) for DSUs in which I've created both Story and Task boards/lists, with saved views filtered on each team member, so we can quickly switch contexts to each person speaking, with the available "all team" view. In filtered views, Expand All doesn't cause the performance hit that it did on full-page displays where the user may've left them  at 50, 100, or 200 item display. 

Custom pages can also be tailored to work well on 40" or 70" wall displays in meeting rooms. 8^) 

Here's a rough example that's a planning page, not a daily progress page, but it might spark some ideas. 

Note that this custom page does NOT filter on Iteration, but it could, so the User Story list would already be filtered by the current scoped sprint, then could be filtered on Feature, Owner, Expedite, yada yada yada. Expand All in the app will work pretty speedily with all those filters in place. 

SM, Agile Coach, Application Support
    Cigna

• 8.  RE: Expanding Parents or top level items

Posted Jan 03, 2020 12:17 PM

Yes, thankyou @John Streeter for a spot-on response.

And if you are the PO on this area, @Andrea Schilde, can I ask the following?

Was performance perhaps okay for those who stuck to Responsible Parenting, used Expand All for just one Parent at a time, and with only two or a max of three generations of Child items to display within there?
    Would it perhaps be okay to allow a bit of it back, without generating too much frustration in people who might still find those limits too constraining?

TIA,
    --Nev.

• 9.  RE: Expanding Parents or top level items

Posted Jan 03, 2020 01:19 PM
    Edited by Matt Seitz Jan 03, 2020 01:22 PM
    Suggestion:  when a user clicks "Expand All", pop up a warning dialog:  "WARNING:  Using 'Expand All' may cause this page to run slowly.".  Have "Continue" and "Cancel" buttons, as well as a checkbox for "Don't show this warning again."

I understand the desire to improve performance.  But taking existing options away from users is very frustrating.  I'd rather get a warning and then be able to make the decision myself.  Adding a warning dialog would help prevent users from being surprised when performance suffers, while still allowing people who find it useful to continue using it.

• 10.  RE: Expanding Parents or top level items

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 14, 2020 12:06 PM
    @Nev Percy@Jim Smith

we are keeping a close eye on feedback and are evaluating possible solutions that would limit when we might 'Expand All' in Rally.
    We will share more, once we have a better idea on how to best solve for this feature in a performant way.

Best,

Andrea

Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 11.  RE: Expanding Parents or top level items

Posted Feb 12, 2020 02:36 PM
    I did a little experiment in an instance with the new UI. By creating a simple Tampermonkey script to "click" all of the expand buttons on a page, it handily expanded all of the items one level. 

Unfortunately the performance of loading the items was terrible.  On a page with only 10-12 items, it took 20-30 seconds to load the next level.  On a page with >100 items, I waited several minutes and finally had to kill Chrome.

If there was a usable workaround for the Iteration Status and Portfolio Items pages, we might be willing to adopt the new UI.  We're not enthused about the idea of training thousands of users to go to custom lists instead of the main, standard pages they use every day.