Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Rally fields based on Work Flow or State

Posted Jan 24, 2020 08:14 AM

Team,

I want to make certain fields of defect / testcase  mandatory or optional depending upon its "State"

For Example :

• Resolution is an optional field while creating a defect (ie .. when the status is New).
    • If I am about to change the state to "Fixed", I want "Resolution" to be mandatory so that the person who is fixing the defect will provide the Resolution.
    • As of now, Resolution is always optional (whatever the state be).

Is it doable with Rally ?

Also, is it possible to make some fields displayed or hidden depending upon the state / phase ? 

For example,

If a QA person creates a defect, I dont want to display the "Resolution" field. 
    But, when the same defect is fixed by a dev person, I want to display that field (and make it mandatory) so that the dev person will update the resolution 

Thanks & Regards,
    S David

• 2.  RE: Rally fields based on Work Flow or State
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 24, 2020 08:34 AM
    Hi David,

What you are after is not possible with Rally. We do not enforce workflow. A better way of doing it would be to make it visible that a defect is in the fixed state with an inadequate resolution/description. Even if you make the field mandated, you will find that devs/testers will put any text in the field to get past the restriction. You will not gain anything apart from resentment.

A better solution would be to have a page with a Custom List on it set to show defects. If you then add a filter "(LastUpdated = lastweek)" to the page and set the resolution field to be visible as a column, you can then use it in your daily standup. Once your devs/testers understand the need for the correct info, it should become automatic for them and all you will have to deal with is the odd one or two.

------------------------------
    Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Rally fields based on Work Flow or State

Posted Jan 27, 2020 04:50 AM
    Thanks @Nik Antonelli for the quick response. Will try your suggestion

Thanks & Regards,
    S David​