Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Flow State

Posted May 04, 2021 02:10 PM
    Starting yesterday with some users and continuing today with all users, we are seeing Flow State show up under User stories and defects a mandatory field. We did have it defined within the team board app for a couple of years now, but until yesterday it was not visible in the work items. Now flow state is showing up as a mandatory entry, which is confusing the users, who mostly do not use team boards and do not know what to do with this drop-down.

Did anything change on the UI yesterday that started surfacing this field?

Thanks!

@Broadcom Community

• 2.  RE: Flow State

Posted May 04, 2021 03:12 PM
    I saw it show up in our instance today as well.  Then it disappeared, but it looks like its back now.  This is something I've been asking for for a while now, so super happy to see it, but need to communicate the change to our users.  Is it staying now for good?

------------------------------
    Senior Manager, Agility Delivery
    AIG

• 3.  RE: Flow State

Posted May 04, 2021 04:47 PM
    Edited by Niveditha (Nivi) Gadamchetty May 04, 2021 04:48 PM
    I noticed this too today, and opened a ticket with Rally. They responded saying it was added due to an enhancement request. It looks like it's going to stay.

Most of our teams don't use it either, and is going to cause some confusion.

ETA: Our templates that use "schedule state" stopped working, and I have a ticket open for this too. It could be related to "flow state" being made visible. Rally was able to replicate the issue (only happens when template is applied on already existing stories/defects. Templates work fine if they are applied at the time of creation of story/defect)

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 4.  RE: Flow State

Posted May 05, 2021 08:11 AM
    Edited by Neil Goodwin May 05, 2021 08:11 AM
    I opened a support case as well.  Did we all miss the communication on this new functionality or was it never sent?

Neil Goodwin
    Clarity & Rally Product Owner
    Sabre

• 5.  RE: Flow State

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2021 10:01 AM
    Hello @Mitch Goldman, @Sheila Olds, @Niveditha (Nivi) Gadamchetty, @Neil Goodwin,

I am sorry this has caused confusion. 

While flow state is a required field, it gets auto set via schedule state so an active selection is not required.
    When a new work item gets created it can be SAVED without making a flow state selection, since the field will always stay in sync with schedule state.
    I see that this is not clear in the UI currently.

We are discussing a fix right now, which will most likely remove the asterisk and allow for show/hide to work for this field. Changes coming shortly.

Have a great day,

Andrea & The Product Team

​​​

Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 6.  RE: Flow State

Posted May 05, 2021 10:30 AM
    Edited by Neil Goodwin May 05, 2021 10:32 AM
    Hi Andrea, I understand the reasoning behind the field, and I think it makes sense.  My issue was with the lack of documentation and communication on this new functionality.  Allowing us greater control over the field I support.

Another enhancement for the Flow State field would be to allow it to be used in notification settings.  If Flow state changes from A to B = notify me.  That field is not currently available for notification rules.

The following KB will need to be updated, as it says to never change the flow state outside of the Team Board, which is no longer correct.  It can be changed on user stories or defects directly now.

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=145898

Neil Goodwin
    Clarity & Rally Product Owner
    Sabre

• 7.  RE: Flow State

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2021 01:26 PM

@Mitch Goldman@Sheila Olds@Niveditha (Nivi) Gadamchetty@Neil Goodwin,@Terry Ginzburg we have decided to roll this change back for now.

We will post in the community once this is ready for release again and documentation will get updated accordingly.
    Thank you for the additional context @Neil Goodwin.

Best,

Andrea

Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 8.  RE: Flow State

Posted May 11, 2021 09:32 AM
    Any updates on when it will be back?  My users were super happy to have it and now it's gone again.

Senior Manager, Agility Delivery
    AIG

• 9.  RE: Flow State

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2021 11:29 AM
    Hi @Sheila Olds,

Glad to hear your users were excited about this change.
    I am working on the community post right now to outline the changes we made.
    This will be released again on THU May 13, 2021.

Thanks,

Andrea​

Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 10.  RE: Flow State

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2021 12:46 PM
    We just posted an update regarding flow state exposure here.

Product Manager
    Rally Software