Rally Software

• 1.  Using the LOOKBACK API in PowerBI to pull historical data for snapshots

Posted 11 days ago
    Hello,

I've been digging everywhere and I would like to know if there is a way to use the Lookback API to pull data as of a certain date using a power query rather than creating an app to do it?

I need to use this data in power BI and I cannot figure out how to do it so that I can get the proper information about sprints/releases at certain points in time.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Using the LOOKBACK API in PowerBI to pull historical data for snapshots

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 5 days ago
    Hi Patricia.

The documentation of the Lookback API can be found here. You may want to specifically check out the section "Querying By Date", which explains how you filter for a given date using the __At param, or for a date range using either one or both of $gt and $lt params.

As far as Power BI:  Personally, I'm not familiar with Power BI and didn't use it. However, our Lookback API is a REST API. I found this page that shows an example of how to use REST APIs using Power BI. I am uncertain how helpful this page is, cause as said not familiar with Power BI. I don't know how you may be able to build an API object library in that environment, but you can always invoke the full HTTP string and make a direct HTTP call. Postman can be a handy tool to develop these queries if you need to.

Here is an example of a http call to our Lookback API. In this example we are asking for all snapshots of a user story identified by US239 which are after (greater than) 08-08-2020.  This is meant to show you how the full HTTP string looks like. If you can't find a library for these objects with Power BI then you shall be able to form such strings and invoke them over HTTP:

https://rally1.rallydev.com/analytics/v2.0/service/rally/workspace/<workspace object id>/artifact/snapshot/query.js?find={"FormattedID":"US239","_ValidFrom":{"$gt":"2020-08-08T00:00:00.000Z"}}&fields=["ScheduleState","_SnapshotDate","_SnapshotNumber"]&hydrate=["ScheduleState"]&compress=true&sort={ "_ValidFrom": 1 }

I hope this helps somewhat.

Please let us know.

Thanks,
    Sagi