Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Show notes in milestone in custom page with custom HTML app

Posted Jan 15, 2020 10:01 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,
    I'm looking to show notes related to a milestone in a custom page using the custom HTML app.  I have gotten it to work with user stories, etc, for the milestone, but I'm looking to pull in notes from the milestone, not it's user stories, defects, etc.  If possible, I was also looking to have a drop down where I could select a milestone and it would show the notes for that related milestone.  Preferable this is using HTML/JS.

The attachment is the part of the milestone I'm referring to.  While it's blank, any notes added I would be able to see in the custom HTML app.

Thank you! 

------------------------------
    Justin

• 2.  RE: Show notes in milestone in custom page with custom HTML app

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 15, 2020 10:25 AM
    Hi Justin,

I haven't tried doing this, however, I wanted to point out that since Milestones are a timebox you may have one per project so you may have multiple milestones with the same name, one for each project.  So definitely ensure you're looking at the correct Milestone

• 3.  RE: Show notes in milestone in custom page with custom HTML app

Posted Jan 15, 2020 10:34 AM
    Edited by Justin Leach Jan 15, 2020 10:47 AM
    Hello David,

Thank you for your response, I have a couple follow up questions:
    • While we have multiple teams/boards, we all use the same Milestone.  Example is we have a release coming up on the 29th and all teams are using the same one to mark what is going out.  Does this address your concern about multiple milestones with the same name? 
    • Is there any code examples you can provide on how to pull in the Milestone notes?  Preferable with milestone drop down, but even hard coding one would be better than what I have done.
    Thank you for your time

• 4.  RE: Show notes in milestone in custom page with custom HTML app

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 15, 2020 06:58 PM
    Hi Justin,

I'm trying to see if the Milestones Notes are even available when fetching from a Defect/User Story

• 5.  RE: Show notes in milestone in custom page with custom HTML app
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2020 03:12 AM
    Hi Justin,

I developed an app that will fetch an arbitrary field from any of a Release, Iteration or Milestone. This was mainly to be used as a way to show the overall goal of the work that a team or teams were doing.

https://github.com/nikantonelli/Display-a-Sprint-Goal

I also developed another app that is able to show a grid of stories (and/or defects) and then do a secondary fetch of data to populate a dynamically created field with data from a related artefact. In the app, the default is to show stories and defects and then fetch the latest discussion post for that item. This is something that cannot be done with the standard UI apps. This could be modifed to show the Milestone Notes field alongside instead.

https://github.com/nikantonelli/discussions

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 6.  RE: Show notes in milestone in custom page with custom HTML app

Posted Jan 16, 2020 08:16 AM
    Good morning Nik,
    Thank you!  The first one(Display a Sprint Goal) works with what I need!  I was able to change the default configuration and get what I was expecting.  

Thank you David and Nik for all your help! 

Justin