Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Backup & Restore of Defects attached to a User Story

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 04, 2020 12:00 PM
    Hi ALL

I have been trying to develop an easy way to archive off old defects attached to a user story using the export to csv option.

I want to export old defects, then delete them from rally and potentially import them back if i need to without any fuss.

I haven't got it to work for individual effects - the export seems to only be for all defects attached to a story?

When i do try to do this to a UTF-8 CSV (I have selected all columns) - the export is fine but in Excel i cannot edit out the defects i am not interested in as Excel seems to save to a text file as it doesn't yet support UTF-8.

Even when i attempt to import a defect using the same file as export i get some field errors on the import.

Has anyone successfully managed to seamlessly export and import defects using these methods?

Help is appreciated

------------------------------
    Pete Coles

R&D Software Engineer
    Broadcom

• 2.  RE: Backup & Restore of Defects attached to a User Story

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 04, 2020 03:21 PM
    Hi @Peter Coles,

That does seem a bit of an odd thing to want to do. If you don't want to delete (maybe to use again), you would be better moving the defects to an "On Hold" project node and then deleting them once they get past a certain age.

If defects (and user stories) are not worth doing (i.e. low priority in the backlog), you should really just delete them completely. You can always re-create something more relevant if they pop up again.​ As time passes, you gain more knowledge and quite often the original reason for creating the defect (or story) has changed.

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: Backup & Restore of Defects attached to a User Story

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2020 03:04 AM
    Hi Nik

I understand it might seem odd and yes we could move defects to another location and then essentially mothball them - the reason we wish to export and then potentially re-import is because we wish to do some excel analytics on the exported data and then manipulate some of the column data to then re-import it in the form we require (project reasons) - doing this automates some of the processes we wish to undertake which Rally cannot do.

The export / import functionality is provided by Rally and is potentially very useful - if it worked - so I hope you can see a potential here to do this.

The concept of exporting selected defects and then automatically removing them seems to me a reasonable piece of functionality to integrate with other products via csv files as well.

thoughts appreciated - the main request we have is to export / import seamlessly

R&D Software Engineer
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: Backup & Restore of Defects attached to a User Story
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2020 07:14 AM
    Hi Peter, have you tried using the Excel plugin for Rally directly rather than going through CSV?
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/agile-development-and-management/rally-platform-ca-agile-central/rally/integrating-top/connectors/other/excel-2016-office-365/excel-2016-installation-user-guide.html

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software