Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Excel Add-In Query Filter Error

Posted Apr 02, 2020 04:51 PM
    I've been successfully using the Excel add-in (V 2.4.4) for quite some time. However, I recently needed a larger set of filter criteria. This resulted in the following error message. "Could not parse: Error parsing expression -- expected ")" but saw "AND" instead."

Here's a simplified version of the filter:
    (((Application = "A") OR (Application = "B")) AND (Workflow != "") AND (Workflow != "X") AND (Workflow != "Y") AND (Workflow != "Z"))

As a test I used the same filter as a query in a Custom List and it worked without error.

Any help would be appreciated!

------------------------------
    Agile Coach
    Boston, MA

• 2.  RE: Excel Add-In Query Filter Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2020 04:59 PM
    Hi Stephen,

It seems to me like the filter is incorrect.  Our accepted filters are explain in our WSAPI Page . See in the Introduction section, I'm also including a screenshot:

Essentially the format is:
    ((((((a) OR (b)) and (c)) and (d)) and (e)) and (f))

So for your case it should be:
    ((((((Application = "A") OR (Application = "B")) AND (Workflow != "")) AND (Workflow != "X")) AND (Workflow != "Y")) AND (Workflow != "Z"))

I hope this helps. Let us know.

Thanks,
    Sagi

• 3.  RE: Excel Add-In Query Filter Error
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 03, 2020 12:50 PM
    Hi Stephen,

First I need to explain that I discovered a couple of months ago that the Custom List app is actually swallowing API errors somehow when presented with an invalid query.  I filed a defect on this and we believe we understand the cause but haven't implemented the fix for this yet.  So this could explain why your query seems to work there.

Regarding building queries, it's no secret that our parenthetical group in our query language is complex.  Because of this, I recorded a "howto" video on using Work Views along with the developer tools in Chrome to work as a query builder, so to speak.  This could help with your results simply because 1) you can validate the results in the Work View and then translate that query expression right into Excel.  Here's that video link: https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/viewdocument/using-work-views-as-a-wsapi-query-b?CommunityKey=f303f769-8d4c-44d9-924c-3845bba6444e&tab=librarydocuments

• 4.  RE: Excel Add-In Query Filter Error

Posted Apr 14, 2020 12:59 PM
    Hi @David LeDeaux

Do you have any idea when this fix is going to go in? I will admit to being lazy sometimes and not following the rules. I didn't realize it was a defect, I thought the Custom List was just being 'nice' and interpreting the queries for us. I have started going back to as many pages as possible and updating queries to follow the rules, but I know I won't find them all. It would be good to know when this is going to be fixed so I can be prepared for users to report broken reports.

Thanks!​

Terry Ginzburg

• 5.  RE: Excel Add-In Query Filter Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 20, 2020 03:52 PM
    Edited by David LeDeaux Apr 20, 2020 03:54 PM
    Hi Terry,

I believe the defect I'm referring to is actually the one you and I uncovered in a case

Unfortunately, I don't see it as being scheduled yet so I don't know when it will actually be addressed.

Actually I take that back; I was looking at a different defect.  It does look like it is scheduled for the end of this month, but I believe that's if they can fit it in.

• 6.  RE: Excel Add-In Query Filter Error

Posted Apr 22, 2020 03:02 PM
    Hi David,

Thanks for the Work Views / Developer Tool trick. That was very helpful.

I just want to be clear on your meaning of "swallowing API errors". Do you mean that we could have hidden errors on our Custom List queries which could be giving us incorrect results?

Agile Coach
    Boston, MA

• 7.  RE: Excel Add-In Query Filter Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2020 11:38 AM
    Hi Stephen,

Yes it is possible.  I've only seen this reported one time so far so I don't believe it occurs often, but I wanted to put it out there as a possibility.