Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Views or Custom List Query Help Please

Posted May 08, 2020 11:09 PM
    I have a scenario where :\

• Initiatives Owner is one person (Person A)
    • Features and levels below the Initiative owners can be other people (Person B or Person C etc) 
    I would like to have a View or Custom List that displays all Initiatives belonging to Person B (or Person C)
    I cannot use the Filter or Custom List Query "Owner = Person B) because the owner of the Initiative is Person A

I have tried (using a the Custom List App) adding a query in the Query Box
    (Feature.Owner = Person B)
    (Children.Owner = Person B)

But nothing works

As a work around, in the OriginalID, text box of the Initiative I have added "Person B" and created a view with Filter where "OriginaID contains Person B"  This is okay for now but not ideal

Is there a more robust way of achieving this

Thank you in advance

Chas

• 2.  RE: Views or Custom List Query Help Please

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 09, 2020 12:00 PM
    Hi Chas,

This filter worked for me: (Children.Owner.Username = "sg_pr_admin@rallydev.com")     , where sg_pr_admin@rallydev.com is a username that I used. Below are two screenshots showing you how I entered this to the custom list settings query and then the custom list results.

You may notice in my results where two initiatives are returned, each has a feature with this username being the owner. This filter will return initiatives that have at least one feature with this owner. However, if you wanted to get initiatives where all features are of this owner and no feature has another owner - then that you can't do and this filter wont any. 

I hope this helps. Let me know.

Sagi

• 3.  RE: Views or Custom List Query Help Please

Posted May 09, 2020 06:34 PM
    Thank you Sagi but it is not working for me:

I have tried:
    Follow Global Project Setting
    Specific Project

I have tried Username as
    Chas Chand - same error gets truncated at the space
    Chas.Chand@aa.com - get same error
    Chas.Chand@Rallydev.com - get same error
    Chas_Chand@Rallydev.com - get same error

Any thoughts ?

Chas

My Owner name = Chas Chand
    How can I find my Username, perhaps I don't have one but even so I would get no records displayed if there was no match wouldn't I ?

• 4.  RE: Views or Custom List Query Help Please

Posted May 09, 2020 06:58 PM
    I found my username but same error

• 5.  RE: Views or Custom List Query Help Please

Posted May 09, 2020 07:02 PM

Corrected to read Children.Owner.Username="00313419@aa.com

• 6.  RE: Views or Custom List Query Help Please
    Best Answer

Posted May 09, 2020 10:06 PM
    Sagi

Just wanted to let you know that I have got it behaving :)

I took out the ".Username" in the query and it works

Correct Query is (Children.Owner="00313419@aa.com")

Thank you so much for putting me on the right path

Regards

Chas

• 7.  RE: Views or Custom List Query Help Please

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2020 12:04 AM
    Hi Chas,

Thank you for your updates, I'm glad I was able to give you good direction on this one. Good job. Thanks for your updates!

Sagi

• 8.  RE: Views or Custom List Query Help Please

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2020 04:48 AM
    Hi Chas,

The Children.Owner is actually an object rather than a field. The system makes an assumption that it needs to use a particular 'reference' field when comparing an object. Sometimes, this is not the value you expect (or want) but, in this case, it looks like it is working. So, you might as well carry on with it.

The Query language is quite specific in the use of the 'case' of the field names. The proper spelling and case is available in the online WSAPI docs (https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/doc/webservice/). The field that you would ordinarily need to use would be "UserName" - note the case of the 'n'.

I uploaded a document about the query language that might be useful here:  https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/communities/community-home/librarydocuments/viewdocument?DocumentKey=133775d0-5722-4f81-b105-f3153bd75fa8

------------------------------
    Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software
    ------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Views or Custom List Query Help Please

Posted May 16, 2020 09:12 AM

@Nik Antonelli thank you
    i didn't see your reply earlier
    i can't Renner exactly how I got around it but I also changed an internal Business rule as a workaround

i do have another problem I am having and will create a new topic for it

its to do with Portfolio Item copy and a sign in dialogue box that keeps appearing and I cannot get past it.

thanks and regards​​