Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for Works Views + Queries (OR) Custom List + Multi Select Types

Posted Jun 29, 2020 05:55 PM
    Is anyone aware of an app that is basically a multi-select (Item Type) version of the Custom List app?  This app would basically be the same as the Work Views page, but with query capabilities.  We have a request where a product team would like to see all features (portfolio Item) and defects that are all attached to the same Program (highest level Portfolio Item).  As this is a Product team, they would like to rank Features alongside defects that are all part of the same product.  This seems like a very good use case. 

The workarounds I have right now:
    • Export CSV, and filter for features and defects and rank them in Excel.
    • Query for these items from a 3rd party and have Rally send the data back to be viewed outside of Rally.
    • Tag all the Features & Defects and then filter for the item types & tag on the Work Views page (cumbersome to keep updated)

If there is not an app available, I can only guess it would be due to potential performance issues, if you could query for all work items at once.  If this is the case, anyone have any other ideas on how to view and rank this items within Rally? 

------------------------------
    Neil Goodwin
    Clarity & Rally Product Owner
    Sabre

• 2.  RE: Looking for Works Views + Queries (OR) Custom List + Multi Select Types

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 30, 2020 10:02 AM
    Edited by Nik Antonelli Jun 30, 2020 10:06 AM
    Hi Neil,

Initially, I was of the mind that doing this was either not a good idea, or not possible in Rally. However, I came around to that idea and then was curious. Just to prove how our technology can be bent to customers needs, I made this small mod to an existing WSJF app:

nikantonelli/WSJFBoard

P.S. You can click on the gear and re-rank either type
    P.P.S. You can turn on filters to get rid of fixed or completed items

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: Looking for Works Views + Queries (OR) Custom List + Multi Select Types

Posted Jul 01, 2020 08:52 AM
    Nik - Thank you very much for spending some time on this to help me.   I will certainly play with this and forward it to my user to see if it helps them.  We will also submit feedback on this.

I will let you know what I get back.

Neil Goodwin
    Sabre

• 4.  RE: Looking for Works Views + Queries (OR) Custom List + Multi Select Types

Posted Jul 01, 2020 02:26 PM
    Hi Nik,

I tested the uncompressed HTML code from your link above.  When I apply it, it is not showing Features, just defects and/or stories in the folder.  Is it possibly due to our sub having an additional portfolio item level?  We added "Team Features" as a fourth level.  Programs > Projects > Features > TeamFeatures > User Stories....

Neil Goodwin
    Sabre

• 5.  RE: Looking for Works Views + Queries (OR) Custom List + Multi Select Types
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 01, 2020 03:24 PM
    Hmm,hI hard coded it to features as the lowest level in the first instance. If you are using a different name, then you might need to tweak the code to say "portfolioitem/teamfeatures" rather than 'portfolioitem/features.

The line is here: https://github.com/nikantonelli/WSJFBoard/blob/120735f1fe6c9f5638ec8cf8bb673a01b6419dff/deploy/App-uncompressed.html#L138

I can make it auto-find the right type, but I tried to get away with it..... ;-)

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 6.  RE: Looking for Works Views + Queries (OR) Custom List + Multi Select Types

Posted Jul 01, 2020 03:38 PM
    That did the trick thank you!

Neil Goodwin
    Sabre

• 7.  RE: Looking for Works Views + Queries (OR) Custom List + Multi Select Types

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 02, 2020 05:56 AM
    Hi Neil,

I changed it to get the type of the lowest portfolioitem directly. I also fixed a couple of other things, so it may be worth picking up the new code and giving it a try.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software