Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Search on Disabled user

Posted Jun 05, 2020 10:52 AM

An employee left the organization and there are still stories/defects assigned to him. I want to filter by "owner" and find those work items, but I am not being shown his name as an option in the owner drop down anymore. He is currently disabled in Rally.

I don't remember if the design was such even before the new UI.

I wanted to see if anyone had ideas about how to handle this situation.

Thanks in advance for any help!

------------------------------
    Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 2.  RE: Search on Disabled user

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 05, 2020 10:58 AM
    Hi Niveditha,

The UI automatically filters out the disabled users. You can use the Custom List app and enter a query filter in the Settings -> Query field. You can enter a filter such as: 
    (Owner.Username = "<the username of this person")

When entered on the Query settings field, it goes directly into Rally and bypasses the auto exclusion of the UI.

See this screenshot example below:

Let us know if helped.
    Sagi

• 3.  RE: Search on Disabled user

Posted Jun 05, 2020 11:24 AM
    Hey Sagi,

How are you doing?

Thanks for the response, I will try this.

But this seems like an unnecessary exclusion, isn't it? Or am I not seeing the use of excluding disabled users? I understand that these disabled users shouldnt be allowed to be set as owners for any work items going forward, but to remove them from even being searched is a little bit extreme right?

Now like in our scenario, we want to find them and re-assign and it needs a little extra effort.

Every time a user wants to find something that an ex-employee did, they shouldn't have to learn to use custom lists and queries.

My 2 cents.

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 4.  RE: Search on Disabled user

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 05, 2020 11:29 AM
    Edited by Nik Antonelli Jun 05, 2020 11:29 AM
    Hi Nivi,

In addition to what Sagi wrote, you can also use the advanced filters on the main app page. That way you don't have to put anything into the query box

BTW, the Custom List app is my 'go-to' app for finding stuff.

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 5.  RE: Search on Disabled user

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 05, 2020 11:31 AM
    Hi Niveditha.

Doing well :)   Hoping you're well as well.

I hear you. If I had to guess, I'd say it's same internal code that puts the list of users whether for assignment or filtering/lookup which is why the disabled users are excluded all around. But I understand your point. Let me report it to Support, however, I'm uncertain if they'll qualify it as a defect or perhaps require an enhancement request. Either way, you'll need to proceed directly with Support yourself if you'd like to pursue this further.

Let me see what they say and I'll reply here again.

Sagi

• 6.  RE: Search on Disabled user

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 05, 2020 11:36 AM
    Huh.... It seems that @Nik Antonelli is correct.  I didn't realize it. I thought that using Custom List Advanced Filter is excluding the disabled users​, but I just tried it and seems to work. So, yes, that can also be used.

But I feel you tried it and it didn't work for you Niveditha. Does it?

Sagi

• 7.  RE: Search on Disabled user
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 05, 2020 12:12 PM
    Thank you both! 

No Sagi, I hadn't tried the advanced filters. I never thought that something that isn't visible in drop downs of quick filters would be visible in advanced filters.

But I just tried something else and it worked. 

The disabled employee is showing up on Custom List - Quick filters as well. Looks like they dont show up on any of Rally's default pages though. So we definitely need Custom lists to find them.

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa