Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  What webhook expression will catch object creation?

Posted Oct 09, 2018 12:32 PM

I'm trying to create a CA Agile Central webhook to fire on creation of a new Hierarchical Requirement. I've tried expressions that look for changes to attributes that should only occur on creation, but they seem to all be explicitly invalid. Any tips or a working example?

• 2.  Re: What webhook expression will catch object creation?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 09, 2018 04:14 PM

Hi.

It seems we have a problem with triggering Webhooks on creation of artifacts. I have just given it a long try. Specifically I tried using the CreationDate with operators such as: "changed" or "changed-from" (both of which are documented in the webhook API page), but none of that worked. I discussed with Engineering and they confirmed it is an issue.

What you probably can still do is something like: CreationDate > some-date . This will trigger also on updates, but then you can inspect your payload and filter it on 'Action = Created' . 

We may want to open up a support case for this and report it, please let me know if you'd like to.

Also, let us know if inspecting the payload the filtering on the 'Action = Created' is helping.

Thanks,

Sagi

• 3.  Re: What webhook expression will catch object creation?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 09, 2018 05:10 PM

I tried as well with similar criteria and couldn't get a webhook to fire based on CreationDate changed.  I also tried CreatedBy changed but that didn't fire either.

• 4.  Re: What webhook expression will catch object creation?

Posted Oct 09, 2018 05:59 PM

Thanks for the reply and the tip on filtering by action. That should help a lot with a workaround. Is it possible to create an expression that's evaluated dynamically? Something like "CreationDate > DateTime.now() - someNumberOfMilliseconds"? Alternatively, do you have any suggestions for a set of expressions that would catch every newly created HierarchicalRequirement with as few false positives as possible? The "create with details" option for creating a new artifact allows pretty much any starting point for attributes like ScheduleState, so I'm not sure how this would be done.

Opening a support case seems like a good idea. I would like to do so.

I feel the need to point out that "Creating a User Story" is the first example of something that can cause a webhook to fire in the overview section of your docs. You may want to update that.

• 5.  Re: What webhook expression will catch object creation?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 11, 2018 11:33 AM

Hi,

So, I did communicate with Engineering over this. It appears this use-case was not intended to work and indeed (as we realized) not working. You are correct that this is the first use-case mentioned in the documentation and they're going to work to take it out of the documentation. 

To answer your question about the dynamic expression using DateTime.now() :

There isn't a way for that either. The Webhook definition is static (meaning constant) and has no option to make dynamic computations.

I hope the suggestion/workaround to filter on the receiving end based on the Action field (Created vs. Updated) will help. Let us know if you tried that and if that helped.

Sagi