Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Do user permissions cascade to closed projects?

Posted Apr 26, 2019 11:53 AM

We can see that some new users have cascaded permissions to closed projects (which is what we would expect) but others do not.  Can someone please confirm the correct expected behavior?

• 2.  Re: Do user permissions cascade to closed projects?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2019 03:41 PM

Hi Pat,

Can you explain a little more what you mean.

Normally users are explicitly granted permissions on a project-by-project basis. These permissions are not removed if the project closed. This means, if the project is reopened then these users will resume their permissions.

What did you mean by 'cascaded'?  Do you have a specific scenario that behaves inconsistently?

Thanks,

Sagi

• 3.  Re: Do user permissions cascade to closed projects?

Posted Apr 26, 2019 04:39 PM

Hi Sagi, we have a leaf project that was closed in 2017.  We have added a few thousand users since then, but only about one hundred show as being added to the closed project (as Viewer or Editor).  I suspect that these users were copied from existing users who were created pre-2017 and had access to the project.  This does mean that if we close a project (because the team is no longer active), we can't reuse (re-open) that project at a later date because we will have a lot of users who won't be able to see it.  (We give all users viewership to all projects.)

• 4.  Re: Do user permissions cascade to closed projects?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2019 05:37 PM

Thanks Pat for explaining this.

You're exactly right!  I reproduced it.

I closed a project, then copied one of the users who was permitted to that project. The new user has the same permission level to the closed project as the original.

I guess this is a defect. Let me discuss this with Engineering and see what we want to do about this. If we shall file a defect - then I may need to ask you to post a support case for tracking.

I'll get back to you probably by Monday.

Sagi