Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Copy tasks between work items?

Posted Aug 20, 2018 11:54 AM

Is there a way to copy tasks from work item type to another work item type?

e.g. I have a list of tasks in a story and I want the same list to appear in a defect as well. Is there an easy way to do this? 

Regards,

Nivi

• 2.  Re: Copy tasks between work items?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 20, 2018 12:31 PM

Hi Nivi,

You can create a template using WorkViews, see below it keeps the tasks. You can then use this template when creating new User Stories (or other artifacts).

Please let us know if that helped.

Sagi

• 3.  Re: Copy tasks between work items?

Posted Aug 20, 2018 01:06 PM

Hey Sagi,

I understood your comment as: if you create template from "work views" then it'll help solve both my problems.

1. Retain order of tasks

2. Ability to use templates between different work item types.

I created a template story in work views and tried making a template from there. It didn't solve either problem.

1. I'm still losing order of tasks in the template. (when I created a sample story with just 3 tasks, it retained the order, but when I created my original story with 16 tasks I'm losing the order)

2. While creating a defect, the template that I created using a story does not appear. 

Regards,

Nivi

• 4.  Re: Copy tasks between work items?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 20, 2018 01:28 PM

Hi Nivi,

About #2 where you can't use a Story template for a Defect:  That's how it's supposed to be. You will need to create a Defect Template (using Work Views if you'd like) to be able to use for Defects.

About #1 where you are losing the tasks order: It's probably best if we worked it out via a support case. I'll reach out to you (via email) and we shall continue this way. 

Sagi

• 5.  Re: Copy tasks between work items?

Posted Aug 20, 2018 01:31 PM

Hey Sagi,

#2: I am not really surprised  .  So is there any other way to copy tasks in a user story into a defect then?

#1: Sure thing, sounds good.

Regards,

Nivi