Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  I need to understand the rules around test cases.

Posted Oct 12, 2017 01:51 PM

Can 1 test case be used in more than 1 Test Folder at the same time? I have an idea to hopefully streamline some of the test case creation and maintenance work.

We have multiple groups, each have their own testing schedule within a larger Project umbrella.

Each group will have it's own project under a parent project.

Some of these groups will be testing the same application page, using different input and results variables.

I want to create 1 test case that's used for more than 1 group for the 1 page.

The test case may include attachments that support each group's variable or may be the same steps.

Test folder for Group A

TF001: Make an Omelete

TC009:  Collect Ingredients Required    (2 attachments of ingredient lists, 1 for Group A & 1 for Group B)

TC010: Heat the Skillet      (no variable needed between Group A & B)

TC....

Test folder for Group B

TF021: Scramble an Egg

TC009:  Collect Ingredients Required    

TC010: Heat the Skillet

TC....

Is this idea possible in CA Agile?  I don't want to make copies.  I'm trying to keep the number of Test Cases manageable and easy.   And I'd like to create a Test Case repository using a Test Folder hierarchy at the Parent project level, that would be a third Test Folder with the same Test Case.

Is there a way to do this in CA Agile?  I was able to do this in Team Foundation Server.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: I need to understand the rules around test cases.
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 12, 2017 09:49 PM

Hi Stephanie,

I am sorry that the Test case is not able to associate to more than 1 Test Folder. But I think you could try Test Set, Test case can be associated with different Test Set at the same time.

Please find below article for more detail info:

Manage Test Sets | CA Agile Central Help 

Manage Test Cases | CA Agile Central Help 

The Test set could also associate different project's test case, but you need to ensure your project scope and permission setting is appropriate for your team. 

ZhaoKun

• 3.  Re: I need to understand the rules around test cases.

Posted Oct 18, 2017 10:54 AM

Thank you ZhaoKun great answer!

You got me the the right direction.

Stephanie