Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  What fields are checked through if you do a Search in the Work Views screen? 

Posted Mar 12, 2018 08:17 AM

I put some text into a work item's Notes field specifically to get it returnable by Search, as I think I've read help pages that say Search checks through Name, Description (Objective?) and Notes.

The Search mechanism that launches from top-right, next to my user picture, now returns that work item.

But the Work Views screen does not return it.

This is potentially a worry because discovering the ability to use Work Views for 'advanced' searches has been the most exciting thing to happen to me for ages.  I want to live and breathe with searches for existing unclosed Defects, and this is the most user-friendly approach to it I've been able to find.

Many thanks, 

--Nev.

• 2.  Re: What fields are checked through if you do a Search in the Work Views screen? 

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 12, 2018 12:14 PM

Hello Nev,

Thank you for the posting your question.  You are correct that the search bar next to your profile picture will search based on the any term you enter. The Work Views search functions a little different. You will notice there is a separate search box on the Work Views page. 

This search will be based on what items you have selected under the work items type.  For example if you only have users stories selected the search will only return user stories.  

There is some more information on Work Views.

Work Views | CA Agile Central Help 

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Christian 

• 3.  Re: What fields are checked through if you do a Search in the Work Views screen? 
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 13, 2018 05:11 AM

Hi Nev,

I just wanted to add a little more information about this. There is some limitations for Search on the Work Views page. Currently you can use it to search the Description, but it doesn't search the Notes field (or custom text fields).

However, the Notes (or custom text fields) field can still be searched. You just have to do something a little different in order to accomplish it. Instead of using the default Search on the Work Views page, add a filter for the Notes field. Then you can use that filter to search the Notes. 

I'm sorry that this hasn't been worked into the default Search, but the page is still in Beta so it may be added in the future. I would encourage you to use the yellow Feedback button to provide us with any of your feedback.