Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  How can I use a query to only select 'User Stories' on a kanban board?

Posted Mar 20, 2017 11:25 AM

We have a custom Kanban board for a team, and they would like all team members to only see User Stories on this page.  I understood that the query is the way to go for a common filter you want everyone to see, so I need a way to select only that 'User Story' type in the query.  I've tried multiple combinations, but I cannot get it to work.  Suggestions?  

• 2.  Re: How can I use a query to only select 'User Stories' on a kanban board?

Posted Mar 20, 2017 03:18 PM

Hi RebeccaRabe1362003

Thanks for the question. You can actually use Advanced Filtering for this, please follow these steps:

from the Custom Kanban Board, select the Show Filters (funnel icon) > use the + Add Filter button, search for and select Type. An empty search box will appear, if you select it you will see the option for User Story and Defect in the drop down menu > select UserStory. This will eliminate the Defects from appearing on the board.

[Side note - this box should not be empty, it should say "Filter by Type" and will shortly] 

Let me know if this answers your question or not!

~Leah

• 3.  Re: How can I use a query to only select 'User Stories' on a kanban board?

Posted Mar 20, 2017 03:54 PM

Hi Leah,

I know how to use the filters to filter by type and only select the 'User story' types.  However, filters are personal to the user who sets them.  I am looking for a way to enter a query that will do the same thing so that any user who looks at this page will only see the User Stories.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

• 4.  Re: How can I use a query to only select 'User Stories' on a kanban board?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 20, 2017 04:42 PM

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry about that, I understand now. There are two options at this point, because you are correct, there is not a query for this on a Custom Kanban Board. You can either use the source code we provide and edit it with new code so it only shows User Stories, or you can use a Custom Board (instead if a Custom Kanban Board) and on the Settings page there is a setting where you can select to only show User Stories.

Here is the link to the source code should you want to modify that: app-catalog/src/apps/kanban at master · RallyApps/app-catalog · GitHub 

Hopefully this better answers your question!

~Leah