Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to copy multiple test cases, into a test folder?

• 1.  Is there a way to copy multiple test cases, into a test folder?

Posted 07-25-2017 10:17 AM

Hi There,

I am looking for ways to copy multiple test cases into a new test folder. Currently, you have to edit the test case one by one and copy them into a new folder? Has someone found a helpful way to do this? It can be a very tedious task when you have 100 + test cases and time-consuming 

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to copy multiple test cases, into a test folder?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 07-25-2017 10:24 AM

Moved to the Agile Central Community ...

And yes there's definitely a better way, which is just adding the Test Cases from the Test Folder! Here's me doing it to show how:

Learn more here: Manage Test Plans | CA Agile Central Help 

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to copy multiple test cases, into a test folder?

Posted 07-25-2017 01:35 PM

Hi JohnStreeter,

Thank you for your response. This is very helpful, but when I follow your steps no test cases appear for me to add to the new test folder. Currently, the way we have our test plan setup is, we add test cases to each user stories and add them to the appropriate test folder  (broken down by Sprint). Each test case then gets assigned to a test set (broken by different OS we support). So in a given Sprint a test case will need to be run on multiple OS. 

Am I doing something wrong here? 

Thanks

• 4.  Re: Is there a way to copy multiple test cases, into a test folder?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 07-25-2017 04:05 PM

Hi Jhankar, 

If I understand correctly, you're saying that you don't see any Test Cases available to add when you click Add Test Cases from a Test Folder? If you don't, then you are either scoped to a project that doesn't have any Test Cases when you go to add them, or there is a bigger issue. Without full screenshots, I really can't tell unfortunately! 

I'd say this might be worth a support case to fully look into or perhaps a discussion with your Customer Success Manager (CSM) to go over your workflow ... 

• 5.  Re: Is there a way to copy multiple test cases, into a test folder?

Posted 03-07-2019 03:23 PM

I have the same problem, unfortunately that .swf file is blocked in office and unable to play your video.

I have copy each test case one by one and manually assign a new test folder to them, very annoying

• 6.  Re: Is there a way to copy multiple test cases, into a test folder?

Posted 03-08-2019 05:11 AM

Our organisation has felt pain with this for several years, specifically in the Test Plan screen.  It is tedious enough for 5-10 Test Cases, never mind the 100+ you mention, jpatel8.  

And I think the video, JohnStreeter, shows the moving of Test Cases from one TF into a new one, rather than creating new copies in the intended destination.
    But still, even if you have no choice but to make copies, creating a hundred copies in the source folder and then using John's mechanism to move them to their new TF all in one go would be very labour-saving!

The Quality Management screen, despite its imperfections, was a great step forward for doing anything of this sort of nature.

Oh, and I'm editing this to give an honourable mention to Test Sets, as the functionality -- designed for use in Regression scenarios --  to use when you don't necessarily need proliferated separate copies of the TCs, but do want to be able to manage them in a separate context.

--Nev.