Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

• 1.  Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Dec 08, 2015 01:58 PM
    What is the best way to measure actual user stories (and story points) completed versus committed user stories (and points)?  I cannot use the "Track > Release Metrics" page because it counts user stories that were continued into the next iteration as completed (the process of splitting the user story marks the incomllete story as Accepted), nor does it show story points.

There seem to be lots of different ways to gather each data element and calculate it outside the tool, but is there an easy way inside the tool?

• 2.  Re: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Dec 09, 2015 09:36 AM
    Have you checked out the Cumulative Flow Diagram chart app to see if that'll help?

• 3.  Re: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Dec 09, 2015 11:54 AM
    Yes, I have been using this at the release level.  Your reply caused me to realize that the app also versions for the iteration level as well.  This is useful managing the team in-sprint.

More than this, though, I am looking more for a method of creating a metric that I could calculate for each sprint, and then trend it.  At this point, all I can come up with is manually reviewing the burn reports, writing down the story points committed on the first day of the iteration, then writing down the number of point completed on the last day of the iteration.  Not very elegant...

• 4.  Re: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Dec 09, 2015 12:17 PM
    One other way may be to use the Rally Excel add-in and get targeted data using queries (each workbook can have a specific query). Then you could use pivots etc. to capture this data somewhat automatically. You may want to keep the chart data separate from the query page data for trending purposes as the query data will override existing data in that workbook where it is run. Not sure if this helps?
    Agreed - Rally could certainly do a lot more by offering useful apps that capture such needs better.

• 5.  Re: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Dec 09, 2015 02:00 PM
    Good idea on the Excel Add-In.  I had completely fogotten about it.  Thanks.  I will give ita try.

• 6.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jan 17, 2020 09:33 AM
    I was searching around for a way to measure user stories committed vs. completed and came across this older post. With all of the feedback and improvements, are there been any new apps or methods to get this information?

------------------------------
    Agile Coach
    Boston, MA

• 7.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 09:39 AM
    Hi Stephen,

Don't know if you are aware of this app: https://github.com/RallyTechServices/committed-vs-delivered

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 8.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jan 17, 2020 10:13 AM
    Hi Nik - Thanks! I was not aware of that app. I'll check it out.

Agile Coach
    Boston, MA

• 9.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jan 18, 2020 06:59 PM
    I've used that app and even modified it to show defects. I would love to see it show stories and defects together, and to give the option of points instead of count.

Terry Ginzburg

• 10.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jan 23, 2020 02:49 PM
    It looks like a great app. Although I agree with Terry, having the option to look at it with points would make it very valuable.
    Just a count of stories, really doesn't give a lot of meaningful information, atleast in our case.

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 11.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 28, 2020 09:03 AM
    I totally agree.It will be great if this app also display the story points.

• 12.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 28, 2020 10:49 AM
    Hi Eda,

https://github.com/nikantonelli/committed-vs-delivered

Added an app setting so that you can do it for stories. I didn't do a similar change for Portfolio items. Pick up the contents of Ugly.txt from the deploy directory.

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 13.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jan 29, 2020 01:48 PM
    Wow, Nik, thank you! I modified a version of this app to do add an Acceptance offset window and accept a query, but hadn't figured this one out yet. 

Can you make a version that combines stories and defects, so a team can see their total commitments and delivery?

I don't ask for much...  ;)

Terry Ginzburg

• 14.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jan 29, 2020 02:55 PM

Thank you Nik! This would be a great metric!

• 15.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Feb 03, 2020 12:19 PM
    Follow up question, Nik.

In the below graph, I understand the Committed bar - both green and yellow. But I'm struggling with the Accepted bar. 
    What do the green and yellow mean here?
    Do they correspond to the Green and Yellow on the committed?

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 16.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 03, 2020 01:13 PM
    For the Delivered colour stack, the green is for those stories that are currently marked as accepted and were placed into the timebox at the start (up to and including the planning window you have set), and yellow is for those stories that are marked as accepted that were added to the timebox after the planning window had elapsed.

Hope that helps.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 17.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Feb 03, 2020 01:20 PM
    One clarification - this app doesn't show all items 'currently marked accepted' but rather items accepted during that timebox. So if a print ended on January 31st and a story within that sprint was accepted on February 3rd, it would not show in the Delivered column for that sprint. I frequently have to explain this to our users - if they don't Accept work during their sprint, it won't show as Delivered on this app. This is different from the Rally Velocity Chart, which shows accepted items with two colors - one for items accepted during the sprint and one for items accepted after the sprint.

Terry Ginzburg

• 18.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 03, 2020 02:12 PM
    Ahh, yes. There is a bit of code that looks like it wasn't finished. If a story is "AcceptedBeforeTimeboxStart", which means it was flagged as "outside of timebox", it doesn't actually count them. I suppose that could be easily changed by someone.....

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 19.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Feb 03, 2020 02:48 PM

It also doesn't count items accepted after timebox ends. On my local version I added an Acceptance Offset that works like the Planning Offset, so that if teams plan their sprints on Day 1 rather than before Day 1, which means they may also be doing clean-up of the prior sprint, they can set both Offset values to 1 and have it pick up as Planned anything added by the end of day 1, and pick up as Accepted anything accepted by the end of the day after the sprint ends. It would be nice if it would show all accepted work in that sprint, but maybe highlight the items accepted after the timebox in some way so you can see the difference.

Terry Ginzburg
    Lead Platform Engineer
    Product Tooling
    3400 New Hyde Park Road
    North Hills, NY 11042
    p: 516.300.4687 | 
    m: 516.322.8226

• 20.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 04, 2020 07:06 AM
    I started to look at this (see image below), but came across a bit of an issue that would probably mean a large change to fix. If you move stories about in iterations (or releases), then the  LBAPI gets a snapshot record for it's presence in that timebox. At the moment, the app doesn't know which timebox it should be in unless it checks for something like which timebox it was started in (InProgressDate) and then use the 'current' setting of its timebox for comparison/calculation.

@Terry Ginzburg, I will post the code changes I did to make the image below on this branch:https://github.com/nikantonelli/committed-vs-delivered/tree/comm-vs-del-with-exception

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 21.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Feb 19, 2020 12:50 PM
    Could someone please explain the logic behind "Committed" in this app?

Agile Coach
    Boston, MA

• 22.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Feb 19, 2020 12:57 PM
    Committed items are items that are in the iteration. If they were added before the iteration started (or by the end of the offset day if that is set) they are green, identifying them as Planned. If they were added during the iteration, they are yellow, or Not Planned.

Terry Ginzburg

• 23.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Feb 11, 2020 09:42 AM

Hello there!

Thank You for the code!

Any chance that it can be modified so it works on an iteration filtered custom page?

When I try that it loads indefinitely.

It works when I add it to a simple custom page.

Thanks

Janos

• 24.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Apr 15, 2020 08:47 PM
    Hi Janos,

Did anyone reply to your issue?  I just added the code and get the same issue for a cutom page that is iteration filtered, it just tries to load indefinitely.  Has anyone looked into this or found a solution for this?

Regards,
    Tony

• 25.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2020 10:32 AM
    Hi Tony,

It is unlikely that anyone will modify the code to do this. The app was really intended to show the numbers across a collection of iterations. The whole code may need to be ovehauled to make it respect the timeboxscope of the page. The reason for the crash is that someone started to write it to support timeboxscope, but never followed through on it.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 26.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Apr 17, 2020 10:44 AM

Is it possible to make it 'disrespect' or ignore the timebox filter at the top of the page?  I think the use case is that a team might have a dashboard that mostly shows information about a specific iteration, but then includes this app to show a historical trend on the same page. Otherwise why would you want it to show just one Iteration? Is there a simple setting to tell it to ignore the page-level filter?

Terry Ginzburg
    Lead Platform Engineer
    Product Tooling
    3400 New Hyde Park Road
    North Hills, NY 11042
    p: 516.300.4687 | 
    m: 516.322.8226

• 27.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2020 10:49 AM
    Sure, it's here: https://github.com/nikantonelli/committed-vs-delivered

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 28.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Apr 20, 2020 10:48 AM
    Edited by Tony Soares Apr 20, 2020 05:05 PM
    Thanks Nik​ and all contributors - It is now working within my Iteration filtered view.  I would like to use this for an Iteration status and that is why I needed it filtered by Iteration. 
    What is the feasibility of displaying the actual metrics for all, meaning the number of scheduled, the number of unscheduled actually displayed on the screen, either within the graph or as a table at the bottom?  The values now appear when I hover over them with the mouse, but if I want to take a snapshot, to save as a pdf point in time, for instance, I only get the overall total committed vs completed, and don't see the breakdown.

Also, the committed column has the planned count, which is what we use to show the load after day 1 of sprint planning, but the unplanned gets a bit confusing, because in some cases, user stories are swapped with other blocked stories, etc, and this gives the appearance of a total commitment much higher than planned.  Is there a way to make it selectable, if I just want to see the planned committed and not the unplanned? 

Thanks,
    Tony

• 29.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Apr 27, 2020 11:47 AM
    ​Hi Nik,

Do you have any feedback on the proposed changes that I mentioned earlier?  Having the flexibility to show the actual data would be very helpful, especially to leverage the graph view as part of a status that is being extracted as an image and not real time.  Also, we use committed as the committed number of points after day one of Iteration, once teams plan their iteration.  We then measure that against what is accepted at the end of iteration.  The accepted portion of the graph is perfect. however, the committed side, it would be preferable if we could select if we want to see unscheduled vs scheduled, if possible.  For our purposes, I just need to see the scheduled committed.  Please advise if this is doable or not.

Thanks,
    Tony Soares

• 30.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Feb 24, 2020 10:30 PM
    Hi Nik,

I am a Program Manager (RTE) at Unum and we are using Rally to manage our enterprise portfolio.  I have configured a dashboard and added several apps from the app catalog available w/in Rally which includes many apps from Github.  While researching online via Google I came across this thread which mentions an Actual Stories Completed vs Committed Stories app.  I don't see this available via the Rally app catalog but I do see it available via GitHub.  

While I used to be a Software Developer many moons ago, I am not sure how/if I can download your app direct from GitHub and run it local on my laptop against our cloud-hosted version of Rally.  

Any insights you can share that may help would be appreciated as I'd really like to use your https://github.com/nikantonelli/committed-vs-delivered 

Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories app.

Chris K.

ckennedy@unumcom 

• 31.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 25, 2020 01:49 AM
    Edited by Nik Antonelli Feb 25, 2020 01:52 AM
    Hi Chris,

You will need to grab the contents of this file: https://github.com/nikantonelli/committed-vs-delivered/blob/master/deploy/Ugly.txt and stick it into the HTML field in the app settings of the Custom HTML app.

There is a little bit of info about the Custom HTML app here: https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/agile-development-and-management/rally-platform-ca-agile-central/rally/customizing-top/use-apps/app-catalog/custom-html.html.

Once you save it, the app should run and create its own app settings menu entry under the gear menu icon.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 32.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Apr 29, 2020 04:12 PM
    Nik,

I just copy/pasted in the March 27th version of the code you pointed me tohttps://github.com/nikantonelli/committed-vs-delivered/blob/master/deploy/Ugly.txt 
    and pasted it into the HTML field in the app settings of the Custom HTML app.  I then modified the app settings to show iterations versus releases and then hit save.  It has been spinning indefinitely with a "Loading..." spinning icon and message but the page does not paint with the graphical result.

Is there something wrong with the latest version of the HTML code behind the link you provided?

Chris K.

IT Program Manager
    Unum

• 33.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 30, 2020 04:42 AM
    I have rebuilt both variants (App.txt and Ugly.txt) to the latest contents of my machine. The one you picked up won't work on an Iteration Scoped page, but the latest build should.

If you are not using an Iteration scoped page, then I am not sure what the issue might be. In these situations, I open the debugger in the browser and look at what gets spewed out of the console. If there is an error there, can you copy and paste it in a PM to me?

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 34.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted May 11, 2020 04:46 PM
    Hi Nik - 
    I really like this app and want to have my teams start using it; however, there is 1 observation that causes confusion.  If a story reflects the current sprint at any point during the day, it could show as unplanned; however, I see situations where seconds later, the sprint was changed (perhaps typo, perhaps copy) to a future sprint and was never in the current sprint.  Some Scrum Masters were trying to compare to the scope line of the Iteration Burnup app and it takes a while to go through and figure out the differences.  Could the app just look at where the stories land at end of day?  Thanks!

E Vargas

• 35.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 12, 2020 11:22 AM
    Hi @Erin Vargas, I understand what you are trying to say there, but the app is not designed like that. The premise of the app was that​ you decide what stories are going to be in the sprint during the planning window and then the stories are fixed for that sprint. In this scenario, there shouldn't be any "Oops!' moments like you describe if your planning 'goes to plan', so to speak.

If you have an issue with ongoing scope change throughout the sprint, you might want ot consider this app: https://github.com/RallyTechServices/iteration-scope-change-by-project

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 36.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted May 12, 2020 12:24 PM

Hi Nik,

I agree with the way the app is working.  We do get the same feedback from our users because they copy stories that are in the current iteration, so the copy is automatically IN the current iteration. They immediately move the copy so think it shouldn't show on this app in the current iteration since it was only there for a few minutes. My question back to them is "Why are you copying stories?"  There are so many issues caused by copied user stories (including a defect we reported where the schedule state of the copied story is changed based on the task workflow) that I always recommend NOT doing it at all. I recommend using templates if you're copying to carry over some common features (e.g. tasks, description, etc.). 

Terry Ginzburg

• 37.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted May 29, 2020 09:48 AM
    Hi Nik and Terry,

I have been following this specific post for some time, and ​in my world, I can relate to what Erin Vargas raised. Our reality is that throughout the sprint, rarely is it "perfect" in the sense that after day 1 of planning, we get nothing else that enters the iteration.  There are usually user stories that sometimes get assigned to the iteration by mistake and then pulled out again.  With this app, it would only show that the user story points were added as unplanned but not show that they got removed, so it shows an "inflated" number of total committed (planned + unplanned) points, and it gets confusing.

For my needs, which I have yet to find an app that has this simple view:  Something that displays all the points as committed, up to and including day 1 planning, and the total points delivered (showing Planned & Unplanned on the delivered side is fine because it shows the total accepted points).  Everything that happens in the middle with points coming in and out, we don't care because we're measuring what we committed (committed after day 1 planning), vs what actually got accepted.  If I commit to 50 points, including day 1 of iteration planning and throughout the iteration I bring in 10 points, then I remove 10 points because they were either entered into the sprint in error or I thought I could do them as stretch and discovered that I really can't, with this app it shows committed as 60, when in reality, it was always 50.  If I accept 40 points in the iteration, my summary report should say 50 Committed, 40 Accepted, 10 incomplete.  That is what I'm looking for an app to do.  Now, if the same 10 points were added after day 1 of iteration, and I actually worked on them and delivered them, my baseline committed is still 50 points as of day 1 planning, and my accepted would be 60 points, showing that the team exceeded their expectations, showing improvement.

If this app was not designed to show what I described above, are there any other suggestions that would provide what I'm describing?

As another thought, is there a way to tweak this app so that it allows me to select if I want to see committed unplanned activity after day 1 of planning (or whatever number of days I set for planning), in my iteration or not?  This would be the ultimate option to address the issue we're encountering with this app.  I really like the app as well but can't use it due to what I described above.  

Thanks for any insight and/or direction.

Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA

• 38.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jun 30, 2020 04:55 PM

Hi Terry,

Would you agree that we are not living in a perfect world and therefore, people are going to move a story into an iteration by mistake, and then moving it back out, and you don't want that captured in this chart, as it does now.  That is my only reservation in using this app.  

If this app can't be tweaked any more, is there a simple app that gives me the total committed points after day 1 of sprint, and the total accepted points for an iteration?  That is really all I need to insert into an end of Iteration status.

Thanks,

Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA

• 39.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jun 26, 2020 03:30 PM
    Edited by Scott Davis Jun 26, 2020 03:31 PM
    Nick,

Awesome job on Committed vs Delivered App!

This is almost perfect for my needs:  https://github.com/nikantonelli/committed-vs-delivered

What I need is the Exception:  https://github.com/nikantonelli/committed-vs-delivered/tree/comm-vs-del-with-exception

How difficult would it be to add that option to Committed vs. Delivered master?

Scott Davis
    Release Train Engineer
    Intel Corp
    AZ

• 40.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 01, 2020 10:45 AM
    Hi Scott,

I think I have added that code to the master branch. Please get the new version and see if it is doing what you want..... Let me know if not.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 41.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jul 01, 2020 03:40 PM
    Edited by Tony Soares Jul 01, 2020 03:46 PM
    Hi Nik,

I'm trying to see if I can use this app, however, I'm getting discrepancies with the committed points (total planned and unplanned, when selecting Timebox Planning window (days) = 1.  It is giving me a value of  43 Points Committed, whereas the burnup chart starts out at the end of day 1 with 38 points, which is what I would expect.  (I've attached a screenshot of this).
    discrepancy between the Committed points between the

When I checked with the Scrum Master of the team, they confirmed that it was 38 points at the end of day 1 of the iteration. I also do an extract late on day 1 of iteration (near midnight) and I got 38 points).  Shouldn't the points match with what the burnup chart starts out with on day 1?  If this is doing something else, it is causing an issue for us where we can't use this app as is, if it doesn't match the burnup chart.

Also, I notice that when I bring custom apps into a custom page which is setup with 2 column format, the graph doesn't shrink to fit the width so it is cutting off, as you can see by the image.  This happens on several of the apps, such as the velocity app is another one I've noticed that has issues resizing to fit, not just this one.  I tried different things and nothing seems to help.  Is there something I can do to control the size of the images so they fit every time the custom view is ran?  We also use these custom pages as iteration status so we generate PDF's which don't look good with information chopped off.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Please advise.

Thank you,

Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA

• 42.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jul 01, 2020 03:51 PM
    Tony - I had similar observation.  In my research what we discovered was that the committed vs delivered app doesn't just look at the Iteration at end of day.  If the story was tagged for that iteration at any point in the day, it is considered in the Iteration.

E Vargas

• 43.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jul 01, 2020 04:04 PM
    Edited by Tony Soares Jul 01, 2020 04:05 PM
    Hi Erin - Correct, but then the app is not taking 1 day into account for planning.  The app allows me to set the Timebox Planning window (days), which I set to 1, for 1 day, so it shouldn't be picking up anything throughout that 1 day, until the day is done, and then that number becomes my committed points - that is what I would expect.
    ​​

Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA

• 44.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 02, 2020 08:31 AM
    Hi Tony, I thought I would have a quick look into this. I think that the logic of the app is not exactly clear. What it is trying to do is ascertain the difference between planned and unplanned, but then separate into committed and delivered. The planning window does not tell it to wait this amount of time before before checking the plan, the app only decides which bucket to put the artifact into (planned or unplanned) up to that date/time. So if a story is added before the 'planning window' expires, it goes in the Planned bucket under the committed. If added after, then it goes in the Unplanned bucket of the committed.

The logic I think you are after is: ignore all changes before the end of the planning window. At the end of the planning window take a 'State Of Play' snapshot and use that as the 'Planned'. And then anything added after that is Unplanned.

I will have a look at this and see if it is a simple change or a complete overhaul.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 45.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jul 02, 2020 09:31 AM
    ​Thanks Nik. 

If this ends up being a major overhaul, and not feasible, then can something simple be built that basically adds a table to the burnup graph (or a separate table) that shows the committed points after day 1 of planning, the Accepted (Delivered) points at the end of the iteration and the unfinished points (Committed minus Accepted).  This would serve my needs, but I do like this app and if it can be changed, we can use it.

Also, any suggestions why certain custom apps don't resize properly when added to a custom page?  I'm using Google Chrome.

Thanks much,

Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA

• 46.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 07, 2020 12:52 PM
    Hi Tony, so it's not the burndown that is so important (as you can get that elsewhere), it is the info about stuff added (and taken away?) during the sprint that was accepted for that sprint? If so, then this app gives a lot of the metrics you might want: https://github.com/RallyTechServices/SAFe-delivery-metrics

Custom apps get sent a 'resize' event that they can choose to work with or ignore. It is up to the app designer to accomodate it. In a lot of apps, the redraw causes a refetch of all the data - usually due to 'quick-n-dirty' programming e.g. one that deletes a grid and recreates the whole thing where the recreation causes a new datastore to be built and populated

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 47.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jul 07, 2020 02:33 PM

Hi Nik,

Thank you for the response.  The link you attached is giving me a blank page, when I added the code to a custom app.  I set it to a Release Scoped Dashboard and I'm getting a blank screen.

As far as what I need these metrics for, I need the Iteration metrics for an Iteration scoped dashboard that is intended to provide a snapshot of a scrum team's Iteration Status.  Although I can add a burn-up graph, I wanted to display the metrics (data) associated with the burnup graph, because if I output to a PDF, I don't have the ability to hoover over the graph to get the data points, such as the scope committed after day1 iteration planning, the accepted points, and if it wouldn't be asking too much, a 3rd. column showing the unfinished points (Committed minus Accepted).  Example below:

Committed

Accepted

Unfinished/Carryover

That is my basic ask.  For this ask, I am not looking at what happens during the iteration, such as stories coming in and going out - just measuring what we commit vs. what gets accepted at the end of the iteration.  For some reason, I don't seem to find what I illustrated above, anywhere, yet it seems that it's basic information that could be pulled out of Rally, hopefully?

Thanks,

Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA

• 48.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 08, 2020 04:11 AM
    Edited by Nik Antonelli Jul 08, 2020 05:44 AM
    Yes, it  seems to give an error (and therefore blank page) if you don't go in and edit the app settings to set the days offset fields. Ity gave me a blank page when I first went in at a level with sub-projects and I had "Summary" selected - but at least the buttons were there.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 49.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jul 08, 2020 07:03 AM
    We have a similar need to provide comprehensive program (5 teams) iteration metrics (committed, scope change, accepted, carry-over/unfinished at end of sprint, etc.) across all teams.  It would be extremely valuable for apps/views to interrogate and apply the project scope set at User level.  When sitting at program level (w/ child scrum teams), we would then be able to get a comprehensive view across all teams associated with a program or Release Train. 

Is this possible/configurable?

IT Program Manager
    Unum

• 50.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 08, 2020 07:31 AM
    I goofed in that I didn't have the "Child Projects" selected in the Project dropdown. Is this what you wanted?

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 51.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jul 08, 2020 01:08 PM
    Hi Nik,

So I realized I didn't have my child projects selected as well - once I selected them, I can see the table.  2 concerns I have:
    1. The team statuses for which I am creating this custom page is set at an Iteration filter, not release, so unless there was a way to allow this view to be seen via an Iteration filter, I would not be able to use it.
    2. How is it calculating the Accepted points - is it using the Schedule State?  We have added a Schedule State of "Withdrawn", after the Accepted state, for items that are no longer needed but they don't want to delete them, but keep them for historical purposes.  It looks like in this case where we have points that are Withdrawn, it is counting them as Accepted - why?  
    In general, this metrics table has much more information than what we need.

Thanks,

Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA

• 52.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 08, 2020 02:13 PM
    I am not sure it can be narrowed down to just one iteration. Dang! I thought I had it then!

The AcceptedDate in the server gets set when the ScheduleState is set to Accepted or greater - not something that can be changed. The app is looking for there being an AcceptedDate only. A second Dang!

At some point, I may get chance to look at the last app as we previously discussed. I can't guarantee anything, though.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 53.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Nov 04, 2020 10:27 AM

Thank you for making this app, Nik! Our scrum masters love it. 

Am I the only one that is having display issues with the newest version? There is a grid showing the point values overlaying the visualized bars. 

Lean Analyst
    EBSCO Information Services

• 54.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Nov 05, 2020 08:37 AM
    Maximize (or just enlarge) the app?

SM, Application Support
    Cigna

• 55.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Jul 02, 2020 02:12 PM
    Edited by Scott Davis Jul 02, 2020 02:12 PM
    Just a quick follow up to merging the branches to add the ability for extra days of acceptance:  works as expected.  Thank you Nick!

Scott Davis
    Release Train Engineer
    Intel Corp
    AZ

• 56.  RE: Actual Stories Completed versus Committed Stories

Posted Oct 15, 2020 07:18 PM
    I have been using this app with my teams and am seeing an anomaly that I can not explain.  I see Nik is no longer with Rally - is there anyone who can help me analyze what I am seeing?

E Vargas