Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  I need help with Iteration Burndown, it show the accepted point,...

Posted Jul 18, 2016 12:49 PM

I need help with Iteration Burndown, it show the accepted point, but what means accepted point in CA agile Center? the story point accepted by product owner? If is that, in our implementation this happens at the end of each sprint in then a review meeting, then the burndown only show advance at the end of the sprint, How accepted points are interpreted? thanks in advance 

• 2.  Re:

Posted Jul 18, 2016 03:26 PM
    The short answer is that story points are accepted when the user story's schedule state is changed to Accepted.  That can be done by the product owner, it's really up to your process, but the product owner is typically the one to accept a user story. Are you familiar with sizing user stories?  When creating a user story, you can assign a point value to indicate the relative size of this user story to your other stories.  When a user story is accepted (the schedule state is changed to accepted) then if the story was sized at 5 points, you now have 5 accepted points. This article goes into more details on sizing user stories: https://help.rallydev.com/sizing-and-estimates I hope that helps!

• 3.  Re:

Posted Jul 19, 2016 12:27 PM
    perfect, but in our process the product owner accepts the user stories and subsequent points in the meeting review at the end of each sprint, then the burndown sprint only show progress at the end of each sprint, to use CA Agile Central should change our process or am I wrong

• 4.  Re:

Posted Jul 19, 2016 01:07 PM
    So, if I am following this correctly, the product owner is accepting the user stories at the iteration review, and that review falls after the sprint is over, rather than being on the last day of the sprint, is that right? Ideally, the product owner should be reviewing and accepting user stories during the sprint, rather than after. Even more ideally, the PO is accepting the work as it gets completed, rather than waiting until the end of the sprint.  Here's why - if the PO reviews a story and it is not acceptable, if you're still in the sprint, the team can then go back and fix the issue and still get the work done during the sprint as planned.  If you wait until the end, and the story isn't ready to be accepted, you now have unfinished work to deal with scheduling into the next iteration.  Your burndown report is correct, as it shows work accepted DURING the iteration, which has not happened in this case.

• 5.  Re:

Posted Jul 19, 2016 01:18 PM
    Peggy thank you very much, your answer makes me a lot of sense and solve some problems in our process, thanks

• 6.  Re:

Posted Jul 20, 2016 10:59 AM
    Thanks @Peggy Graham! You're awesome!!