Symantec Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  sm_timetoexpire and timeouts in header variables

Posted Mar 17, 2021 06:52 PM
    Hi,

We have a frontend application which is protected by SiteMinder and I would have a few question regarding timeouts.

1. We have noticed a header variable called 'sm_timetoexpire'.
    Based on 'Web Agent Configuration Guide' it says: "Indicates the amount of time remaining for a CA SiteMinder® session. " However I do not know how to interpret this value. Is it in seconds, minutes or what? We should understand this value to present a corresponding timer on the GUI.

2. Is it possible to get back the idle-timeout value in a header a well? So it could be shown on the GUI.

3. What is the value of sm_timetoexpire if we do not have session timeout set on our realm? Or is this header value not present to the client side in this case?

4. In case of timeout (idle or session as well) is it possible to configure SiteMinder to return with an error code, like HTTP 401, and let the frontend handle redirection to the login page, instead of automatic HTTP 302 redirect?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards,
    Viktor

• 2.  RE: sm_timetoexpire and timeouts in header variables

Posted Jun 15, 2021 07:30 AM
    1. It is in seconds.
    2. No. To what I'm aware SiteMinder doesn't provide you the idle timeout value dynamically.
    3. A big lengthy number will be present as value.
    4. I'm also looking for such a solution but SiteMinder doesn't provide any such option. It simply redirects user to the login page, after timeout upon user action.

------------------------------
    -- Sreekanth
    ------------------------------