Symantec Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  CA Directory : Query regarding MW Group replication

Posted Dec 08, 2017 12:00 AM

Hi,

I need a clarification regarding MW Group replication. Assume that I have two MW groups with six servers in each group (MW GROUP HUB is already set in both groups). If I want to replicate these two groups, which approach should I follow?

Approach 1:

• Each server should have dxc file of all the other servers (including other group servers) which needs to be replicated. - 12, in this case

Approach 2:

• Servers (which are not a HUB) should have dxc file of all the other servers (including HUB) in the same group which needs to be replicated. - 6, in this case
    • Servers (which are HUB) should have dxc file of all the other servers in the same group which needs to be replicated as well as HUB server detail of the other group(s) which needs to be replicated - 7, in this case

1. If I have to follow approach 1, I would like to know why we have to add details of all servers (including other group servers) as only the HUB (of other group) will be used for replication? Is there any limitation or drawback with approach 2?
    2. If I have to follow approach 2,  is there any limitation or drawback with approach 1 (I hope  it's not)?

Thanks,

Dhilip

• 2.  Re: CA Directory : Query regarding MW Group replication

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2017 07:32 PM

Dhilip,

Your peer Sriraman already opened a support ticket with us regarding the same inquiry. I suggest you touch base with him if there are no further comment on this post from other community members.

Thanks,

Hitesh

• 3.  Re: CA Directory : Query regarding MW Group replication
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 12, 2017 03:28 PM

Updated support case 00912134 that Sri opened on this with:

There are no drawbacks to either approaches except in (1), there are more files to maintain/move around while in (2), there are less.

To confirm, I just tested your use case in my lab and both produces the same results when I test MW replication. So you can go with either style of setup and it will be the same. Hope this helps to make the decision process little easy as to which approach you want to pursue.

• 4.  Re: CA Directory : Query regarding MW Group replication

Posted Dec 12, 2017 11:31 PM

Hi Hitesh,

Thanks for your confirmation. This will definitely help us.

Regards,

Dhilip

• 5.  Re: CA Directory : Query regarding MW Group replication

Posted Dec 20, 2017 12:10 AM

Is there a reason that you need to configure a "HUB".   If you define groups with a defined Hub, and the hub server is down, then you will not be replicating until the Hub is available or you manually reconfigure another server in the group as the Hub.  I think it may be better (I prefer ) to not define a specific hub, and let the MW Groups designate the hub.  

• 6.  Re: CA Directory : Query regarding MW Group replication

Posted Dec 21, 2017 01:34 PM

so what's the benefit to use a group hub when the hub can be down, and you have to manually recover it?

• 7.  Re: CA Directory : Query regarding MW Group replication

Posted Dec 20, 2017 12:14 AM

I have a second question - Why do you have so may CA Directories defined in your environment?  I know that in some cases the environment dictates, but the fewer servers (simpler) is better.   Typically, a few servers per datacenter are enough to handle a very large amount of traffic. 

• 8.  Re: CA Directory : Query regarding MW Group replication

Posted Dec 21, 2017 02:16 AM

Hi Gregory,

Interesting response!

For first question : We are using a HUB as it has been mentioned as a recommended way for MW group replication by CA in the below link.

Multiwrite Groups Hubs - CA Directory - 12.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

For second question : Actually, it is not our exact setup, that's the reason why I have used the term "Assume". I thought questioning with multiple servers, will bring clear picture/more impact for each approach. 

Regards,

Dhilip