Symantec Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  does dxloaddb command overwrites existing store?

Posted Jan 26, 2018 01:27 PM

does dxloaddb command overwrites existing store ? 

Consider i have a working Policy store. And i am taking ldif output from another environment using dxdumpdb.

Now if i load new ldif file ( say Env2.ldif ) , does the policy data get over writes with new information ? 

Commands i will be using 

dxdumpdb -f /tmp/Env2.ldif -z <dsaname>

dxloaddb <dsaname> Env2.ldif

• 2.  Re: does dxloaddb command overwrites existing store?

Posted Jan 26, 2018 06:06 PM

JaswanthChadalawada4210560

Since you are saying policy and this blog is in CA SSO, i'll assume this to be CA SSO Policy Store.

I am not going to speak in any detail about "does dxloaddb command overwrites existing store"; because that is simply not the recommended approach for Policy Store. There is a difference between whether we can do it VS is it really the right approach. Our preference is to use the right / correct approach which ensure stability / continuity.

For Policy Store, it'd best if we use XPSTools (XPSExport and XPSImport) to do any policy migration. This will ensure any Policy Store object discrepancies or conflicts are handled by CA SSO XPS Tools. 

If you do it using the DXTools and if there is any corruption. You risk the functioning of CA SSO Policy Server.

Regards

Hubert

• 3.  Re: does dxloaddb command overwrites existing store?

Posted Jan 29, 2018 11:56 AM

Thank you Hubert for the info . Yes in gerenal i use XPSTools , but i have a test case to use other way .

• 4.  Re: does dxloaddb command overwrites existing store?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 26, 2018 06:10 PM

Yes, dxloaddb overwrites any previous policy store data with the new ldif

https://docops.ca.com/cad126/administrating/tools-to-manage-ca-directory/dxtools/dxloaddb-tool-load-a-data-store-from-an-ldif-file/

“Use DXloaddb to load a data store from an LDIF file. The data store must already exist. All previous information in the data store is deleted.”

• 5.  Re: does dxloaddb command overwrites existing store?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 28, 2018 11:30 AM

Hubert is absolutely right. You are better off with XPS tools for policy store. You can do partial/delta import as well using XPS tools. However, to answer your original question, yes dxloaddb will overwrite existing data.