Symantec Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  XPSExport from R12sp3 and XPSImport to R12.51CR8

Posted Jan 13, 2017 12:15 PM

Hi,

we're migrating our R12sp3 PServer to a newer R12.51CR8 (this last one doesn't have any policy realm, ACO ecc... only default objects are there).

We want to use XPSExport on the source server to generate the .xml and we would like to know if there's a way to export all  the data without override default objects that are in the target server.

Any suggestion will be appreciated

Thanks!

Stefano

• 2.  Re: XPSExport from R12sp3 and XPSImport to R12.51CR8
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 14, 2017 11:55 AM

Well to begin with there is no easy way out.

OPTION-1 : Use XCart feature in XPSExplorer to export all XID of objects that you wish to export. Then use the XCart file as an input to XPSExport in R12.0. This would only export objects which are listed within the Xcart file.

OPTION-2 : Use smobjexport to do a full policy store export in smdif format on the R12.0 Environment. In <R12.0 Install folder>/db there should be a smpolicy.smdif. Do a file compare of R12.0 smpolicy.smdif and R12.0 smobjexport file. Remove all matching entries (i.e. default objects - because smpolicy.smdif has only default objects). Similarly if you'd have federated objects, then ampolicy.smdif in R12.0.

OPTION-3 : Try to use R12.52 SP1 or R12.6. These version have much better & stricter logistics in terms of Object import e.g. R12.52 when doing a import finds a object with same name exists in policy store but with a different XID, it falls back to Name match instead of the old method of purely XID match. 

OPTION-4 : Using SMPolicyReader to generate xcart selection. 

Would let know if I can think of anything more.

• 3.  Re: XPSExport from R12sp3 and XPSImport to R12.51CR8

Posted Jan 16, 2017 06:53 AM

Thanks a lot Hubert,

we're trying to use the 4th approach you proposed, i think should be the quickest and cleanest way to do that.

Bye

Stefano

• 4.  Re: XPSExport from R12sp3 and XPSImport to R12.51CR8

Posted Jan 15, 2017 08:48 PM

Hi Stefano,

You mentioned:

##

We want to use XPSExport on the source server to generate the .xml and we would like to know if there's a way to export all  the data without override default objects that are in the target server.

##

May I know what is the reason to "export all data without override default objects that are in the target server"? What is your concern if there is override happen?

If your intention is to migrate the data from old server to target server (new setup), you can either use xpsexport/xpsimport OR smobjexport/smobjimport without worried if there is override or not.

Thanks.

Regards,

Kar Meng